Lead Software Engineer, Java
Occasionally in your career, an opportunity comes to accomplish something truly unique and spectacular. For about a decade, Capital One credit card has been building best-in-class open-standards based middleware to support our business. We recently made a bold strategic decision to become a trailblazer in both the financial industry, the enterprise technology industry as a whole by declaring that we will re-invent our enterprise using best-in-class open source technology operating in the public cloud.
To realize this vision, we are looking for forward-thinking and passionate engineering leaders who will be responsible for driving the build or migration of several hundred critical business system components to an open-source stack, provisioning on the cloud, and defining and implementing best-in-class scalable and repeatable devops processes. Most importantly, these leaders will mentor developers to assure that they have the tools and perspective they need to grow and be successful in their roles.
An ideal candidate should be comfortable leading in a highly collaborative and creative technology environment, and should be fluent in or prepared to quickly master the following skills: Amazon Web Services Provisioning, API/Service development with Java with Spring, automation with Teraform and Ansible, Devops Pipelines with tools like Jenkins, process automation, automated testing, performance testing and analysis, capacity management, cloud networking and security, application performance management, monitoring, self-healing systems design, and the like.
Are you up for enabling the success of one of the largest-scale cloud-based application development and implementation activities ever attempted by a financial institution? If so, we may be your next great opportunity.
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios
- Lead and/or mentor a team of engineers
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years experience in software development
- At least 2 years experience in people management
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience building APIs using Java
- At least 7 years of SDLC experience using Java EE technologies for Middleware and Backend Integration
- At least 3 years of experience in developing RESTful APIs using Spring or Jersey
- At least 1 Year experience in one of the following: RDBMS, SQL, No-SQL, RDS, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or DynamoDB
- Master's Degree
- 9+ years of professional experience in a technical role
- 7+ years experience in Agile practices
- 6+ years of leadership experience with full life-cycle IT development and platform support
- 2+ years of CI/CD toolsets experience
- 3+ years’ experience in one of the following Cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, OpenStack, Docker, Ansible, Chef or Terraform
- 3+ years’ experience in one of the following Build and CICD technologies: lSVN, GitHub, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus or Sonar
- 3+ Years’ experience in one of the following Quality Assurance technologies: ATDD, Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, SoapUI and Postman
- 3+ years’ experience in Unix Shell Scripting
- 2+ years’ experience with one of the following: HP Diagnostics, JMeter, Splunk, BlueStripe, CloudWatch or Zabbix
- 2+ years’ experience with one of the following Agile methodologies: Scrum, SAFe, and Kanban
- Certified in one of the following: Java, Spring or AWS technologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.