The Lead Systems Engineer (DevOps) will bring 5+ years of experience designing, implementing, and supporting enterprise level applications; with expertise in automation (infrastructure & application) and cloud computing. In addition to managing the infrastructure, this operations focused engineer will be depended upon to have an in-depth understanding of development disciplines and implement technological solutions which apply both operational and application best practices; in order to effectively support eCommerce initiatives.
- Expertise with enterprise data center technologies including operating systems, storage platforms, network switching, and security infrastructure within a virtualized data center
- Ability to use a broad portfolio of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS and MS Azure is required: RDS, EBS, S3, EC2, Cloud Watch, IAM, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Glacier, VPC construction, Security Group Policies)
- Experience with automation/configuration management using Ansible; through the creation Playbooks
- Extensive knowledge of multi-tiered application stacks (primarily Java based) with a mixture of technologies; including Apache, WebSphere, Tomcat and JBoss.
- In-depth understanding of application performance testing and best practices; with the ability to properly tune complex and high-traffic applications/systems. Experience with the following are desirable; Dynatrace, Wireshark.
- Create, update and enhance written processes and documentation with a focus on ease of understanding and completeness
- Develop relationships and work alongside other functional IT groups such as development, networking, storage, database and security
- Ability to conduct technology research, budgeting, evaluation and presentation
- Participate in on-call rotation, receiving and responding to daytime and after-hours alerts
- Perform after-hours or weekend system maintenance and application support as needed
- Participate in change management and incident management processes
- Working knowledge of disaster recovery, high availability and other technologies and principles that support business continuity; experience with DR capabilities in virtualized and/or cloud environments
- Desired Skills:
- Expert knowledge as it relates to troubleshooting and resolving problems quickly and effectively in a production environment
- Working knowledge of Internet Protocols, Networking, and TCP/IP
- Strong background in Linux Administration
- Strong experience with SQL and MySQL (NoSQL experience is a plus)
- A working understanding of code and script (Perl, Python, Bash, Shell)
- Experience leveraging and supporting log monitoring tools: Splunk, ElasticSearch
- Proven experience with DevOps tools; Git, Jenkins, Ansible
- Familiarity with containerization & orchestration; Docker & Kubernetes
- General understanding of various IT security concepts as they relate to production environments.
- 5+ years' of industry experience with VMware environments
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Good project management skills, ability to operate as part of a team organizing, planning and executing projects from vision through implementation
- Excellent verbal presentation and written communications skills
- Ability to foster and maintain both a positive team culture and service-centric environment
- Experience with standard software development methodologies and practice around Agile & Scrum methodologies.
Operating Systems: LINUX (Centos4.x/5.x/6.x/7, RHEL 7/6.x/5.x/, Windows
Version Control Tools: Subversion(SVN), GitHub
CI Tools: Jenkins
Configuration Mgmnt: Ansible
Container Tools: Docker, Kubernetes
Issue Tracking Tools: Jira
Scripting Languages: Perl, Python, Bash, Shell
Web/Application servers: Tomcat, Apache, WebSphere, JBoss,
SDLC: Agile, Scrum
Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, DB2, Couchbase
Cloud Platforms: AWS, MS Azure
Monitoring Tools: Dynatrace, Splunk, ElasticSearch, CloudWatch, CloudTrail
Bachelors degree in related field or equivalent training and experience; Graduate degree preferred
Approximately 8-12 years experience in related field
Pay, Benefits and Work Schedule:
Office Depot offers competitive salaries, a benefits package, which includes a 401(k) and more, along with plenty of opportunity to move and grow within our organization! For immediate consideration for this exciting position, please click the Apply Now button.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Office Depot is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.