Individuals within the Test Engineer role are responsible for verifying and validating whether solutions meet specified requirements. They are involved in all phases of the solutions development lifecycle. They implement quality assurance objectives and processes, monitor and evaluate testing results against the predetermined objectives, and apply recommended actions for improvements. Quality control activities may include performance and solution testing. Individuals also evaluate and recommend test automation tools and determine the suitability of these tools with various development tools. Senior level professionals within this role are responsible for providing technical team leadership. They work closely with IT leaders to develop and implement a quality maturity roadmap and plan testing for each functional area (performance, solution, and automation).
Test Engineers are responsible for defining the test environment used by the organization. They interact with all members of the project team including architects, business analysts, system analysts and project managers. They also work with the development team and/or vendors to successfully integrate testing into each development phase. Other responsibilities include performing the design, development, execution and reporting efforts for projects using a single software testing technology competency (i.e., functional, systems, automation, performance, security, validation, etc.) within one or more software development frameworks. They define and track quality assurance metrics such as defects, defect counts, test results and test status. These professionals communicate testing results and provide recommendations based on issues discovered. They also monitor, evaluate and make recommendations on testing tasks within enterprise-wide processes such as change and release management.
Members of this role need to have an understanding of programming languages, solution development life cycles, testing tools, test automation, and a strong knowledge of quality management. They must be able to understand business requirements, technical specifications and change management documentation in order to develop test plans.
Individuals in this role will work on multiple projects as a technical lead. They will work on projects that have enterprise-wide impact and integrate across the organization and perform troubleshooting for complex hardware, software or solution problems. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications: EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Contributes to testing strategy and architecture.
- Leads teams to support testing strategies and activities.
- Leads in short- and long-term project planning efforts with team members, clients and other IT groups.
- Prepares and submits testing estimates and project schedules.
- Reviews information with project manager.
- Plans, monitors, and tracks project team's work.
- Supports the prioritization of requirements and matches resources with requirements.
- Documents discussion and agreements.
- Assists managers in keeping the team aligned to the correct priorities and goals.
- Works with the Analysts to interpret testing needs as requirements are being developed.
- Evaluates testability of business and technical requirements based on business/functional requirement document(s), use cases, user stories and/or solution design documents.
- Leads test planning workshops, test readiness reviews, and test results reviews.
- Participates in requirement/design reviews or sprint/release planning sessions; identifies gaps and probes for detailed explanation of expectations.
- Performs impact analysis on the change to existing architecture, work processes and systems
- Works with impacted areas to ensure proper communication/review of requirements and integration.
- Creates test plans.
- Spearheads design/development/ usage of testing frameworks and technologies.
- Designs, develops, and implements reusable components.
- Identifies and develops interface stubs and simulators, as needed.
- Creates dynamic data-driven test files with valid and invalid data to thoroughly test positive and negative program logic and verify system workflow.
- Provides assistance to internal and external auditors in compliance reviews.
- Executes test scripts/cases and monitors testing results.
- Monitors environments establishing thresholds and alerts.
- Assigns severity levels to each test defect discovered during the test cycle.
- Documents issues in a defect/issue tracking system with appropriate root cause analysis and ensures escalation occurs on all issues.
- Provides root cause analysis around defects to communicate in review meetings to determine remediation status.
- Updates and/or re-executes scripts against software corrections to ensure problems are resolved.
- Informs project stakeholders of execution completion and status results.
- Works with the delivery organization to identify and resolve process problems when desired service outcomes are not being met.
- Leads the support of technical issues and upgrades as needed by various internal departments.
- Identifies and recommends automation/performance process efficiencies.
- Ensures documentation is available for all testing phases.
- Ensures completeness and accuracy of all documentation for assigned work products.
- Ensures that testing processes are followed.
- Evaluates business efficiencies and risks to make recommendations on application of testing standards.
- Supports and helps establish system environment standards.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on testing tasks in enterprise-wide processes, such as change and release management.
- Working with the Continual Process Improvement framework, suggests and influences process improvements and acts as a change agent for the organization.
- Monitors and analyzes testing process metrics for continuous improvement.
- Integrates solution testing within the SDLC process.
- Demonstrates technical leadership and provides mentoring to team members.
- Trains team members on various testing tools.
- Recommends training programs targeting specific areas of improvement.
- Evaluates future technologies and makes recommendations for service, software and hardware upgrades.
- Evaluates and recommends test automation tools and determines suitability with various development tools.
- May review and provide feedback on vendor proposals for new service, hardware and software.
- Supports and participates in the formal reporting of project status.
- Participates in lessons learned sessions.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field or equivalent work experience. Typically requires a minimum of 7-10 years of related information technology work experience. Typically requires minimum of 5 years of Quality Assurance and Quality Control experience with integration activity and interactions with vendors. A Software Testing Assurance Certification from an accredited institution (i.e. AS2, QAI, ISTQB, etc.) preferred. Strong experience with operational usage of industry supported testing tools. Expert understanding of script execution and reporting. Experience leading teams and demonstrates continuing professional development. Software analysis and design knowledge/ experience. Excellent test code troubleshooting, debugging and refactoring. MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to interpret policy based on facts and recommend proper course of action when situation demands.
- Demonstrated experience documenting and executing testing policies and standards
- Strong knowledge of relevant technology, tools and software; SDLC, Desktop services, TFS, HP Test tools, or equivalent testing tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills
- Excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
- Ability to resolve enterprise level project issues effectively and efficiently
- Ability to prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate at a leadership level