At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead UX Interaction Designer for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of Lead UX Interaction Designer will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Care Business Group. Responsible for leading and supporting on overall strategy and solution definition to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems. Sets design direction for our platform, system's structure using an object-oriented approach to content and functionality. Then extend it into an expressed navigational and task flow oriented system informed by user needs and business goals. Independently leads major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within assigned business and function.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow's solutions to today's problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We're looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.Major Duties & ResponsibilitiesLead UX Interaction Designer primary responsibilities
include, but are not limited to:
- Set the design direction for our platform and ensure that our platform elements bridge the familiar to the innovative.
- Establish design principles and patterns for platform widgets and logical flows in partnership with Product Design.
- Coach internal and external clients through the design process from initial strategy (design briefs), to robust planning and development (design development and design research), to design analysis through to final implementation (product design architecture and brand tool box/identity guidelines).
- Develop information architecture, data models, task flows, and hierarchical sitemaps.
- Collaborate with business partners, data scientists and engineers to identify feature inventory that captures possibilities explored in the context of the project.
- Create UI flows and taxonomies for applications and information.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews, competitive analysis, content audits to assist with defining business and functional requirements.
- Lead and facilitate user research and usability testing and deliver strategic recommendations with confidence.
- Create prototypes of varying fidelities based on the needs of given design problems (i.e. interactive prototype for usability testing and movies for communicating the UX design direction)
- Conduct usability testing and heuristic evaluations.
- Establishes and cultivates extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Supports multiple projects in parallel; organize and manage assignments in a dynamic, diverse environment.
- Has a considerable impact on the direct work group/team, providing coaching and leadership. Decisions may affect the organizational effectiveness of multiple work groups or teams, important programs in the department, the next higher organizational tier, and/or related activities within the direct functional area.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in a Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Information Design, and/or Psychology discipline
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architecture, or similar role with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and/or mobile applications
- M.S. in Interaction Design, Computer Science, Information Design, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of experience as UX practitioner (e.g. UX Architect, Information Architect, UX Designer, Interactions Designer)
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- In-depth understanding of key principles of cognitive psychology, interaction design and information architecture.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25-40%
Relocation: Is AuthorizedAbout 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visitwww.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.