Job Location: Charlotte, NC
Reporting to the Head of General Account ALM, this position at Brighthouse Financial is responsible for managing all aspects of Life and Captives ALM within the General Account Asset/Liability Management (ALM) team. The Life and Captives ALM team is responsible for analyzing the liability risk of various product segments and collaborating with senior officers from Actuarial, Finance, the Lines of Business, Investments, and other areas to develop an understanding of the liabilities and influence investment strategy, primarily through the ALM Committee structure, as well as assessing the appropriate economic and statutory capital requirements associated with market risk on these products. This position is also responsible for defining and executing hedging strategies for Brighthouse Financial’s Life and Captives ALM business.
- Manage and analyze monthly liability economic valuations for all in-scope lines of business, including metrics such as duration, convexity, and key-rate durations, and analyze sensitivity of these metrics to different liability assumptions
- Work with General Account ALM and Investments teams to model, analyze, recommend and monitor impact of medium/long-term investment strategies and near-term portfolio repositioning to optimize the company's risk/return profile from a Strategic or Tactical Asset Allocation perspective
- Work with General Account ALM and Investments teams to evaluate hedging impacts of derivative instruments implemented as a principal strategy or overlay to any new or existing portfolio
- Evaluate sensitivity of results from Strategic and Tactical Asset Allocation and hedging work to reasonable alternate asset, liability, and economic assumptions in order to ensure optimal strategies are selected
- Present results to ALM committees to drive understanding of the complexion of liabilities and recommended investment strategies
- Work with Head of General Account ALM to select, develop and deploy third-party and proprietary models, including real-world and risk-neutral stochastic simulations, option pricing, and risk-reward trade-off, along with other advanced analytic tools and techniques to assess the company’s assets, liabilities, and surplus
- Ensure sound governance around decision making and implementation of model analytics in a centralized, efficient framework and represent ALM in related model validation and steering committees
- Work with Investments to support Actuarial with investment yields to be used in calculations for interest credited rates; dividend scales; and rates used for sales illustration purposes
- Work with Head of General Account ALM to define, prepare and analyze investment margin analytics on all in-scope products for public reporting purposes
- Work with other General Account and Variable Annuity ALM team members to coordinate enterprise reporting and develop a consistent view of ALM outputs and assist with related efforts from broader Treasury, Actuarial, Finance, and Risk groups
- Provide analytical support to ALM committees to assess success of the Strategic/Tactical Asset Allocation and hedging portfolios from investment performance and business perspectives
- Monitor industry best practices, including practitioner and academic research, related to asset allocation to better inform the ALM and investment processes
- 10+ years of experience with increasing responsibilities in an actuarial function
- Strong knowledge of actuarial projection techniques
- Experience with actuarial software such as Moses, USLMS, Prophet, GGY-Axis, etc.
- Model development experience coding life and annuity actuarial projection models
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Actuarial experience in both life and annuity industry, with focuses on ALM and financial planning concepts is preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Must have strong ability to make decisions; ability to consider multiple aspects while making business decisions
- Strong interpersonal and people/project management skills
- Fellow of Society of Actuaries (FSA), CFA and and other related advanced degrees is a plus
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: Head of General Account ALM
- Direct Reports/team: 2 direct reports
- Key Stakeholders: Treasurer, Management Team, Lines of Business, Actuarial, Investments, Finance, Risk, Auditors, and Regulators
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 36001
A little about us:
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.