The US Pipelines and Logistics (USPL) business unit is seeking a Pipeline Lead Detection and Hydraulics Engineer to own the Leak Detection Program. The successful applicant will also be the subject matter expert in pipeline hydraulics and be responsible for conducting capacity studies, surge studies, and equipment optimization.Key accountabilities
- Lead the power optimization efforts in pursuing, tracking, and pushing projects to completion that reduce power consumption.
- Develop power optimization pump selection tools for roll-out to schedulers and pipeline controllers.
- Conduct studies using a computer based pipeline hydraulic simulator to optimize flow rates, evaluate and enhance the efficiency of pipeline operations, and conduct feasibility studies on potential future operations.
- Evaluate pipeline throughput and use of DRA to improve operational efficiency and to minimize costs.
- Conduct studies to determine the optimal product sequencing to reduce cost and improve system throughput.
- Be able to anticipate variations of flow and pressure under transient conditions to mitigate potential problems and possible maintenance issues.
- Develop, maintain, and update technical practices related to leak detection and pipeline hydraulics.
- Conduct pipeline surge studies.
- Troubleshoot and resolve abnormal operating conditions related to leak detection.
- Work with project managers and other engineers to ensure that future projects contain the necessary equipment and instrumentation to achieve leak detection goals.
- Develop and recommend projects to improve the accuracy of leak detection systems.
- Conduct the pipeline hydraulics training of controllers including the classroom and computer-based simulator.
- Develop, own, and drive the leak detection program and function as the technical authority / subject matter expert.
- Participate in HAZOP, risk workshops, MOC's as Hydraulics/Leak Detection Expert, in addition to other annual reviews and audits.Provide 24/7 response to pipeline emergency situations as required.
Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Essential experience and job requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
- 8 years engineering experience
- 3 years of pipeline experience
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Previous experience working with Synergi Pipeline Simulator
- Previous experience working with Atmos or other computational leak detection systemsPrevious experience with design and sizing of Relief Valves (API 520 & API 521)
Yes - up to 25%Is this a part time position?
US Pipelines and Logistics (USPL's) strategy is to create integrated logistics value for BP by maintaining high pipeline, terminal and transportation availability, storage flexibility for trading. It is a pipeline transportation company that owns and operates liquid pipelines and terminal facilities throughout the United States. Employing more than 1200 employees, USPL safely transports millions of barrels per day of oil, refined products, natural gas liquids, carbon dioxide and chemicals throughout the US. The Terminal facilities are light-oil terminals, most of which produce custom blends of gasoline. Additionally, USPL interacts with a number of BP segments including Upstream, Integrated Supply & Trading, and Downstream as well as third party shippers. USPL is also a partner in several joint ventures. In support of these interactions, we maintain a strong business relationship with internal and external customers.Segment
[ "27-Sep-2017" ]
A little about us:
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.