This role is for a B1 attorney to support R&D transactions. In the last four years, R&D agreement demands have exceeded 2,400 contracts annually. Expectations are that this demand will continue and likely increase. It is imperative that the Law Department have the capacity to draft, negotiate, conclude and track agreements that enable R&D to execute on its projects in a timely manner.
This role will supervise Legal Assistants who work fulltime in this area, continue to develop the skill sets of these Legal Assistants, further develop and refine the system requirements for the contract process, assume individual responsibility for a significant portion of R&D contract requests and coordinate all aspects of the contract work with other functions (Finance, Compliance, etc.).
The role is located at PepsiCo's Plano location. Travel is expected to be about 10% annually. Accountabilities:
Main interactions within & outside organization:
- Key legal advisor to R&D Project Managers on contract matters. In addition to practical contractual perspectives that reflect the company's legal, policy and corporate positions, the role also ensures that all other legal and compliance considerations are applied to R&D interactions with third parties.
- Principal legal manager for legal assistants charged with assembling and moving forward routine contracts for R&D functions
- Liaison on legal matters concerning R&D third party interactions with other in-house attorneys to be sure that legal counseling moves forward seamlessly and supports the objectives of the R&D organization.
- Subject Matter Expert on indemnification, insurance, confidential information and trade secret protections, as well as other IP protections and IP apportionment among various parties to an agreement.
- Credible presence with counsels representing third parties interested in engaging PepsiCo R&D on development and other opportunities.
This is a true Law Department Center role having a specific area of expertise that affects R&D's ability to proceed on its projects and project schedules as well as a critical supporting role for others in the Law Department Regulatory & IP Law Center.
- The professional in this role has multiple interactions on a daily basis with R&D personnel doing product development for counseling purposes and to provide advice and support for business initiatives.
- This attorney has multiple contacts each week with legal counterparts supporting R&D business initiatives to insure alignment on their legal counsel and to lend perspective and expertise to issues that fall within the attorney's domain.
- The professional in this role chairs weekly meetings with peers in the Global IP & Regulatory Law Center to benchmark contract backlog, address specific issues and share learnings.
- The role will develop information and programs for R&D associates on the process for requesting agreements as well as training for the informed use of contracts and enforcement of them.
- The role requires monthly meetings with the SVP Global IP & Regulatory Law to confirm priorities and coordination of legal activities that support R&D initiatives.
- The attorney in this position sets quarterly meetings with the R&D Category leads and R&D Finance team to update them on contract activities and insure that all work is integrated with R&D priorities and objectives.
- This attorney has regular contact with external counsels to gain benefits from their expertise and to solicit their advice on specific PepsiCo matters.
- JD from a top tier US law school; 5+ years' experience with heavy emphasis on transactional and IP matters. In-house experience with a CPG company strongly preferred but not required.
- Authoritative presence to interact with and effectively counsel senior R&D members, product developers and R&D functional experts (SRA, Nutrition, etc.) on contractual matters.
- Background in (1) legal systems, and (2) counseling to scientific professionals, is a strong plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize readily and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Function at a high level with minimal direction and supervision.
- Possess an open, collaborative style with peers and executives.
Not Eligible for Relocation