Memphis, TN Shift:
The Asphalt Plant Operator is responsible and accountable for everything that goes on his/her shift of operation. This includes but limited to safety, quality, and productivity during the transfer, blending, processing, and shipment of asphalt products. Operators make critical decisions during his/her shift to insure that customer shipments are on time, within the customer's specifications, and at the correct temperature. The operator is responsible for communicating critical information concerning environmental compliance, homeland security, and operational issues to the designated associatePrincipal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must check pass down log, e-mail, and production board, for critical information daily.
- Blend and process asphalt products in compliance within specifications
- Perform quality test to include but not limited to (melting points, flashes, penetrations, DSR, viscosities, stain tests and use all equipment in the laboratory.
- Make sure that all products leaving the plant are inspected, on time, at correct temperature, and correct quantity
- Must make frequent trips around the facility checking valves for proper positions, leaks in tanks, tank temperatures, and any foreign objects
- Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevated heights.
- Complete all reports and transactions required to document quality, shipments, environmental compliance, shift production and/or activity that occurred during the operator's shift using SAP, Excel, and Word software programs.
- Must communicate daily orally and written at shift change and with Plant leadership and support team.
- Must perform routine maintenance and inspections on the boiler (blow down, water softener, etc.)
- Must be capable understanding and following oral and written communication instructions
- Must be capable of making equipment adjustments with and without tools as needed for continuous operation of the facility
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The operator must be capable and willing to help assistant operator with his/her duties as necessary to meet the customer expectations. This includes loading and unloading bulk trucks and unloading railcars, ships, and barges.
- Must complete housekeeping assignments as required(breakroom, locker room, and in the plant)
- Must be capable of working alone or with minimum supervision
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Basic knowledge of mathematics(add/subtract/multiply/divide/fractions
- Good oral and written communications skills.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
- Self-starter, motivated and goal oriented. Able to demonstrate good leadership skills.
The employee must be able to:
EDUCATION AND/OR REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (SAP, Word, Excel, etc)
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- High school diploma or general education (GED)
- One to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Qualified Lift Truck Operator
- Knowledge of all safe work procedures
- 1st Class Steam Engineer License from Shelby County Code Construction Office preferred, 3rd Class required
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Vision: Must be capable of reading letters and numbers, and have good color perception.
- Range of Motion: Full, some bending, lifting, and standing for an 8-12 hour period.
- Lifting Capacity: Must be capable of lifting a minimum of 40 pounds chest-high.
- Sitting/Standing/Climbing: Standing for 12 hours daily, and moving up and down stairs.
The incumbent may work in dusty, dirty, hot, wet conditions, or at elevated heights. The job requires stamina, because the employee stands most of the day and, at times, may need to move moderately heavy cartons/cans of asphalt. The incumbent is exposed to hazards such as hot equipment, product, and fumes. He/she may work in awkward a position which exposes them to additional hazards. They are required to use protective equipment such as safety shields, safety glasses, steel-tipped shoes, gloves, and other PPE.About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.