Function & Responsibilities
Engineering of enterprise Linux & storage IT infrastructure solutions, solving business needs at an advanced level, while providing production and operational support as necessary for the company.
Maintain effective internal control of QMA Linux and storage systems via research, project management, implementation, and optimization, while maintaining and monitoring the integrity of the Linux, Storage and legacy UNIX (Solaris) infrastructure.
Advanced knowledge and experience of Linux Operating Systems, Linux virtualisation & storage hardware, NAS, SAN, hyper converged and cloud storage technologies with proven background in project engineering.
In particular previous operational & design experience of NetApp Clustered OnTap (CDOT) storage in a production environment, Linux RedHat Enterprise Server 7, Oracle Solaris 11, and Brocade SAN infrastructure in both design and production capacities is essential.
Additionally perform engineering for layered UNIX/Linux infrastructure applications such as job scheduling (CA Workspace Automation / Autosys), systems backup (Symantec NetBackup 7), market data tools (Thompson Reuters, S&P).
Experience with VMWare ESXi and Windows operating systems from an infrastructure support and design perspective highly desirable. Role responsibilities
Applicable to all staff
- Project engineering, management and research for all “Open Systems” & “Storage” projects.
- Oversee, support, maintain and enhance the Linux & storage systems infrastructure.
- Assist other team members in managing Linux & storage infrastructure (SAN & NAS NetApp systems).
- Provide in-depth root cause analysis as necessary within specialist realms.
- Proven troubleshooting techniques with desire to yield timely results.
- Use VMWare native tools (vCenter) to template / deploy / configure / manage Linux & storage Virtual Machines.
- Use NetApp and VMWare tools (NetApp VSC within vCenter) to configure SnapMirror/VM replication and Snapshots
- Oversee and manage performance using appropriate reporting & monitoring tools.
- Action requests for new Linux & storage & storage systems, cross-training other team members as necessary.
- Provide input and support for infrastructure and application development projects that require Linux infrastructure.
- Ongoing evaluation and analysis of the Linux, UNIX & storage infrastructure to provide optimum performance.
- Maintain market & industry awareness of new products that could offer improved value to the business.
- Datacenter engineering - logistics, planning, monitoring (power / environmental / security).
- Liaise with appropriate application development representatives to optimise value to the business.
- Liaise with third party vendor operations management.
- Provision of core on-site daily coverage with overnight and weekend on-call support as needed.
- Maintain good working relationships.
Ensure the business area conducts its activity in accordance with all relevant external regulators and QMA ISO policies.
Ensure compliance with the regulatory and statutory requirements and QMA ISO compliance policies and procedures affecting the business area.
Report any breaches of regulations to Legal and Compliance.
Ensure the business unit operates in accordance with stipulated risk management policies and procedures, covering market risk, credit risk and operational risk.
Ensure failures and shortcomings in policies and procedures are reported. Qualifications:
A minimum of 5-10 years in a senior role engineering and supporting Linux & Storage infrastructure within a critical production environment, with emphasis on project design and implementation.
- Proven NetApp Clustered ONTAP 8.x/9.x (CDOT) storage experience. Recent design, installation, and production support experience of enterprise NetApp CDOT storage essential. Netapp 7-Mode experience is not relevant.
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.x Infrastructure engineering and support experience - OS builds, standardization, patch management, performance tuning.
- Oracle Sun Solaris 11.x operating systems experience.
- UNIX/Linux experience with NFS, Automounter, Jumpstart / Automated Install / KickStart, DNS, SMTP (Sendmail), SNMP, NTP, syslog, Solaris Volume Manager, ZFS (zpools/zfs), LVM/LVM2.
- Fibre Channel SAN experience: Brocade or Cisco midrange Fibre channel switches.
- NetApp SAN Management software (e.g. Brocade Webtools & CLI, NetApp OnCommand System Manager, OnComannd Performance Manager, Config Advisor, NetApp Management Console, NetApp Performance Console, NetApp SnapMirror replication).
- Previous senior roles supporting/performing Operating Systems administration (Storage, Unix)
- RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Redhat certifications / Oracle Sun Certified UNIX certifications / NetApp storage certifications
- Infrastructure programming skills - such as Borne Shell / Perl scripting to automate deployment, improve and expand in-house infrastructure monitoring/reporting.
- Proven Project Management experience.
- Windows & VMWare Infrastructure and administration experience, eg. ESXi 5.5, 6.0, Windows 2012, Windows 2008.
- Exposure to some of the following useful:
- Centrify DirectControl.
- Generic financial systems, market data experience an advantage.
- Eagle Investment Systems (Eagle Suite) - STAR/PACE.
- Thompson Reuters Market Data software and Standard & Poors Market Data Loaders.
- Other Linux distributions, eg. Ubuntu LTS 16.
- Job Scheduling infrastructure experience (CA Workload Automation / Autosys) .
- Symantec NetBackup 7.x
- Solarwinds monitoring exposure.
- Redhat Kickstart
- Dev Ops: docker / puppet.
- Self-motivated individual.
- Hardworking and dedicated team player.
- Able to communicate at all levels.
- Strong investigative skills.
- Problem solving skills & perseverance.
- Technical Literacy.
Our support of the military includes providing civilian employment opportunities to transitioning service members and military spouses.