LewisGale Hospital Pulaski (LGHP) is located in the beautiful mountainous region of Virginia . Pulaski is considered a neighbor to the Virginia Tech Hokie
community and is a short 45 minute drive from Roanoke, VA. The HCA (Hospital Corporation of America) hospital is a 147-bed acute care facility with more than 350 employees and has been recognized by Joint Commission as a Top Performer . The medical staff includes a wide range of primary care and specialty care physicians, including Cardiology, Otolaryngology, Orthopedics, General Surgery, Urology and Oncology as well as Hospitalists. Here is some additional information regarding the LGHP Medical/Surgical Unit:
- Atypical Med/Surg unit
- Includes Telemetry and Progress Care Unit populations
- Non- titratable drips and continuous cardiac monitoring
- Orthopedic, cardiac, stroke populations serviced in addition to the general medical surgical population
- Nurse to patient ratios based on acuity
- A supportive environment focused on fostering educational opportunities and specialty certification (add)
Assumes direct care responsibilities as delegated by the Charge Nurse or Staff RN. Within the LPN scope of practice, problem solving may involve the need to recognize and alleviate difficulties related to patient care
Consistently combines Nursing Theory with Technical Competence to render quality care, in a timely and compassionate manner.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to call lights in a timely and compassionate manner
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate Nursing Care
- Implement Nursing Care Plans
- Provide fundamental nursing services for assigned patients on the Medical Surgical unit to include but not limited to assist and/or provide personal hygienic care, administer medication, perform drsg. changes, ambulate patients, measure and record I & O, Perform Bedside Blood Sugar Testing, Position (turn) patients as needed
- Maintain a clean and organized patient room by ensuring proper equipment storage, emptying trash as needed, and cleaning the room and bed when housekeeping staff are not available
- Familiar with a variety of the nursing concepts, practices, and procedures specific to patients in the Medical Surgical Unit.
- Evaluates results of interventions and communicates to pertinent information to appropriate individuals.
- Initiate, monitor, and maintain Telemetry services
- Evaluate ECG Rhythm Strips accurately and timely
- Prepares equipment, applies and changes dressings, and monitors patients.
- Maintains accurate written and computerized documentation
- Effectively communicates and reports changes in patient
- status on a continuum. Performs daily bedside reporting at change of shift
- Ensures patients and/or families receive appropriate health care education and instruction throughout hospitalization and in preparation for discharge.
- Accurately processes physician's orders.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff through assessment, guidance, and mentorship.
- Ensures chart reviews, and that narcotics are counted per policy.
- Comply with facility Policy & Procedure and guidelines as assigned by the Department Director
- Other procedures as assigned by the Designated Charge Nurse and/or the Department Director or designee
In the unusual event that an RN is not available to perform Charge, performs Charge duties under the supervision of the Department Director and/or the Nursing Supervisor and/or unit operations.Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS:
One (1) year health care experience in any capacity
- BLS within 3 months of hire/transfer
- Basic Arrhythmia to be completed within 6 months of hire or for Nurses who are unable to demonstrate competency upon hire.*
*During this time the nurse will work under the direct supervision of an RN who has satisfactorily completed basic arrhythmia competency. If the new employee fails to complete the above items in the established timeframe, the nurse lacking successful completion of the competency/certification will continue to work under the direct supervision of an RN as previously described. This practice will continue until the new employee satisfactorily completes the basic arrhythmia competency
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom