POSITION SUMMARY :
Responsible for providing nursing care to patients and newborns during the post delivery period. The LVN functions under the direction of the registered nurse.
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
• Data Collection.
• Can perform physical and psycho-social data collection effectively and efficiently.
• Communicates findings in correct written format.
• Can prioritize data, recognizing abnormal findings.
• Appropriately communicates abnormal findings to the physician and/or charge nurse.
• Contributes to the goal setting.
• Performs clinical and non-clinical skills proficiently and in accordance with policies and standards.
• Provides direct and indirect patient care.
• Maintains patient care standards.
• Clinical and non-clinical skills are appropriate to the patient's age, developmental age, educational needs and family/guardian expectations as related to the diagnoses.
• Utilizes all equipment in the unit appropriate to patient with maximum efficiency and effectiveness based on knowledge and education.
• Interventions are implemented in a safe and appropriate manner and documented.
• Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs.
• Provides for patient safety at all times.
• Verifies accuracy of medication administration by following all safety measures.
• Performs care to meet the physical, psychological, psychosocial, emotional, and social needs of the patients.
• Provides care to a variety of patients in a variety of settings.
• Can work with people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
• Can organize, set priorities, and manage multiple priorities.
• Can adapt to a rapidly changing work environment.
• Serves as a mentor and completes the appropriate documentation of training and competency.
• Evaluates the patient's progress toward attainment of outcomes.
• Continuously evaluates the effectiveness of interventions.
• Involves the patient, significant others, and healthcare providers.
• Performs unit specific technical skills.
• Assess infants for general health.
• Facilitates bonding between family and baby.
• Assist mother in feeding choices.
• Facilitates general baby care knowledge such as infant safety, bathing, and diapering.
• Monitor mother hemo-dynamically post delivery.
• Adhere to infant security policy and take appropriate action as needed.
• Responds to emergency situations with mothers and infants and reports appropriately.
• Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
• Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
Establishes priorities and makes independent decisions of a complex nature.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David's North Austin Medical Center.
Required: Computer skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
Required: Graduate from an accredited LVN program; minimum of six months experience in a clinical setting
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree; minimum of one year experience in a clinical setting
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES :
Required: Current Texas LVN License ; BLS certification as per SDH policy; NRP certification as per SDH policy, current employees have until June 1, 2014 to obtain, new hires have six months from start date to obtain NRP certification.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom