Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Deep Draw/Udylite Operator works under the supervisor in the Fabrication Unit. Sets up and maintains the deep draw, trimming, piercing, Udylite system and grit blast machines.
Comply with the following health and safety duties as a condition of employment:
• Comply with safety rules
• Attend and Participate in Safety Training
• Participate actively in the safety process
• Report all accidents and injuries immediately
• Submit suggestions to improve safety
• Know their duties in case of emergency
• Be a coach to others who are acting unsafely
Comply with the following environmental duties as a condition of employment:
• Attend and participate in all hazardous and non-hazardous waste trainings.
• Ability to recognize chemical hazardous labels.
• Spill management and clean-up.
• Capability to follow satellite accumulation rules and requirements.
• Proficiency to recognize hazardous wastes in your area and manage properly.
Good judgement. Most duties require standing and walking. Able to continuously handle 3-10 pound blanks and shells. Able to bend and work in awkward positions.
1. Sets up deep draw machine by inserting proper tooling such as dies, spacers and rams, using an overhead hoist and attaching electrical switches.
2. Starts up deep draw machine by activating proper buttons on control panel. Checks for proper oil levels and operating pressures.
3. Inserts blanks into loading slot while visually checking for defective material.
4. Inspects condition of shells to assure quality and to prevent metal build-up on dies.
5. Cleans and checks condition of press and dies, making adjustments when necessary, such as polishing dies, punch and other tooling with air driven hand tool and cleaning agent.
6. Changes or removes die sets or other tooling on the deep draw, trimming machine and piercing machine.
7. Performs some maintenance duties such as removing and replacing filter screens, replacing punch lights and removing oil and sludge from the deep draw machine.
8. Adjusts conveyor system to accommodate shell size with small hand tools and hoist to position guides, electrical push rods and chutes. Occasionally fabricates guides.
9. Sets up trim machine by inserting proper tooling and adjusting electrical switches, machine speed, both rams and gear sets according to size shell being trimmed.
10. Operates trimming machine, re-adjusts cutters, guides or other tooling when jam-ups occur. Checks shells to insure proper length. Removes excess metal from trimmer into boxes.
11. Makes minor adjustments to machine and performs troubleshooting procedures such as replacing dull cutting blades or adjusting switches.
12. Sets up piercing machine by inserting proper head dies, adjusting index speed and checking hydraulic oil level and pressure.
13. Operates piercing machine by inserting proper SY shell into machine, allows machine to pierce hole in shell during indexing cycle, and removes shell from machine at end of operation cycle. Troubleshoots when malfunction occurs.
14. Starts up Udylite System by opening proper valves on steam lines to heat solutions in dip tanks. Opens proper valves to fill tanks to correct level.
15. Assures racks are in proper position and time cycle is correct before engaging proper buttons on electrical control panel that starts automatic dipping operation.
16. Checks temperature of various solutions with thermometer.
17. Manually loads and unloads steel discs from dip racks.
18. Observes sequence of automatic operation to assure proper functioning.
19. Visually inspects to insure proper cleaning, lubricant coating of blanks or rejection of defective blanks.
20. Using recorded test titration results as a guide, adjusts dip tank solutions to proper strengths and/or levels, such as degreasers, neutralizers and lubricants.
21. Performs maintenance duties such as cleaning the tanks heating coils.
22. Starts up and makes adjustments to grit blast machine to wash and blast required size SY shell blanks.
23. Loads blanks from pallet to load cradle and starts cycle.
24. Monitors operation for proper cleaning and blasting of various size discs according to written instructions and setup sheets.
25. Manually loads blanks from blaster to racks and pallets.
26. On occasion may be required to perform material handling duties to move shells and discs to and from work area.
27. Performs housekeeping and other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Vacations approved in your current department do not carry over to your new department.
Interested employees may apply for this position by going to https://tyco.taleo.net/careersection/internal/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en and entering the job title in the key words search and search jobs.
We are currently working towards all interested applicants applying online, but until we have all the technology available to all associates we will continue to accept paper applications.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.