MACHINERY DESIGN ENGINEER
Company: Air Products
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posted: September 23, 2017
Reference ID: 21484BR
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a MACHINERY DESIGN ENGINEER at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the CryoMachinery Department.
About CryoMachinery: Over the past 75 years, Air Products has designed and manufactured both standard and custom-engineered cryogenic and warm gas centrifugal turbomachinery used for refrigeration and power recovery in air separation, natural gas production, and other related market segments. Existing designs range from 2 kW to 12 MW, up to 97 barg, -268 C to + 260 C, and speeds up to 100,000 rpm. Standard products include compressor loaded turbo-expanders, generator-loaded power recovery expanders, and low-cost dissipative expanders. Air Products also offers global aftermarket support including on-site service, spares, repairs, and upgrades.
About the Position: The Machinery Design Engineer is responsible for the design of proprietary high speed rotating machinery and systems to satisfy the needs of various Air Products Business areas and third party customers. This equipment enhances the competitive position of Air Products by focusing on meeting customer expectations and optimizing cost, performance, and reliability.
Position responsibilities include:
- Uphold Air Product's safety philosophy for both the workplace and products.
- Design new products or improve existing products so that they meet or exceed customers' expectations, are market competitive, and exhibit high reliability and performance.
- Product design ownership and system integration from early concept, thru layout, detailed design, review, testing, installation, commissioning and service.
- Process design, lubricating and seal gas system design, equipment layout, structural analysis and selection of components to be integrated into equipment packages.
- Lead or participate in R&D efforts associated with the design of new equipment offerings.
- Perform detailed mechanical analysis (rotordynamics, stress, resonant frequency, thermal, etc.) of proprietary machinery.
- Review and approval of detailed manufacturing drawings and BOM's for machinery.
- Execute projects with specification and code compliancy requirements.
- Perform engineering support of manufacturing, testing, preservation activities, installation, commissioning and field start up.
- Interface with suppliers and customers.
- Maintain effective relationships with all work team members, suppliers, and customers (both internal and external) to achieve these accountabilities (e.g. working with suppliers to improve manufacturability and reduce cost).
- Support continuous improvement and flawless execution.
- Execute within budget and schedule requirements.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency
- Strong analytical skills
- Practical hands-on mechanical engineering aptitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization, leadership and time management skills
- Effective team building and teamwork skills
- Ability to work with engineers, technicians, suppliers in shop, office, and field environments
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability, willingness and no restrictions on traveling domestically and internationally to support equipment installations, commissioning start up and service. Estimated average annual travel approximately 5%
- 2D and 3D CAD experience a plus
- FEA experience a plus
- Formal Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) training and experience a plus
- Rotordynamic analysis experience a plus
- Fluid film bearing, magnetic bearing, gas bearing, rolling element bearing design experience a plus
- Hydraulic design, piping design, structural design, manufacturing, machine shop or welding experience a plus.
- Acoustic analysis and design a plus
- Database design a plus
- Java, VB, C, C#, Python or similar programming experience a plus
- MRP system understanding a plus.
- SAP experience a plus.
Air Products (NYSE:APD) is a world-leading Industrial Gases company in operation for over 75 years. The Company's core industrial gases business provides atmospheric and process gases and related equipment to manufacturing markets, including refining and petrochemical, metals, electronics, and food and beverage. Air Products is also the world's leading supplier of liquefied natural gas process technology and equipment. The Company had fiscal 2017 sales of $8.2 billion from continuing operations in 50 countries and has a current market capitalization of approximately $30 billion. Approximately 15,000 passionate, talented and committed employees from a diversity of backgrounds are driven by Air Products' higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world.
To apply for this position, please visit the Air Products Career Center. Click on Search job openings. You can apply specifically to Job Req #21484BR. If you are a current Air Products employee, please apply via APOnline by clicking on Online Applications, then selecting Career Center.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.