Company: Air Products
Location: Manalapan Township, New Jersey
Posted: November 18, 2017
Reference ID: 21916BR
Approximately 15,000 employees are making Air Products the world's safest and best performing industrial gases company, providing sustainable offerings and excellent service to all customers. We strive to be a company of choice that is recognized by its colleagues, customers, and community as a company that draws strength, opportunity and financial growth from the diversity of its workforce. Our success will be directly attributed to having a work environment that is collaborative, inclusive and respectful of all people.
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. (NYSE:APD), a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, is seeking an experienced Maintenance Technician for its Manalapan, NJ, Cryogenic Transfill facility which produces and distributes via our internal fleet operations liquid and gaseous helium to customers in the Northeast area as well as for export for International shipments.
The position will be responsible for operating, maintaining and troubleshooting the equipment at the facility. The basic function of this role is to provide necessary technical and hands on support to continuously improve plant operation, maintenance, mechanical equipment integrity, reliability, costs and inventory loss reduction. The systems include pressure vessels, vaporizers, flow, level and pressure control instrumentation, pumps and compressors. The Technician will be responsible to provide necessary technical and hands-on support for the maintenance of these systems in addition to learning and performing filling operations as needed for dewars, cylinders, and tube trailers.
This position requires after hours availability and must be able to respond to facility maintenance issues on a 24/7 basis.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Participation in the Basic Safety Process and sharing responsibility for the site's overall safety performance.
• Providing plant equipment mechanical repairs, instrument calibrations and electrical troubleshooting as required.
• Investigating equipment failures, determining root causes of failures, and recommending appropriate solutions to reduce reoccurrence of/or eliminating causes of failures.
• Inspection, troubleshooting, and repair of process mechanical equipment such as reciprocating compressors, pumps, gear drives, valves, etc.
• Performing hands-on modification, installation, and commissioning of new and/or upgraded mechanical systems, especially for safety and reliability improvement initiatives. In many cases, candidate will take an active role in defining job scope, schedule, and budget, under the direction of engineers or plant management.
• Supervising mechanical aspects of capital upgrade projects, including periodic management of contractor activities, and developing preventative/predictive maintenance programs and spare parts schedules for new equipment.
• Researching and ordering parts and equipment for plant mechanical systems.
• Performing basic building and facilities maintenance throughout the site including snow removal and plowing
• Conducting transfill operations as needed to fill dewars, cylinders,
and tube trailers for shipment to customers
• Interfacing with others in a small team environment to enable the continuous improvement of plant quality systems. In particular, candidate will work closely with site operations technicians, to ensure the proper operation of plant systems and be able to fill in for operations technicians as needed.
All duties must be performed in a safe, effective, timely fashion while following all applicable safety and maintenance procedures. Consideration of personal safety and those in the surrounding area is of the utmost importance.
• Must be able to climb ladders and steps and lift up to 50 lbs.
• Will be exposed to high noise levels.
• Be able to meet call-in requirements as needed.
• High School Diploma/GED.
• Minimum of 3 years of electrical maintenance and mechanical experience. This experience may include trade school and/or on-the-job training.
• Demonstrate and practice safe handling of tool including power tools typically and commonly used for installation and maintenance tasks. Experience with welding and brazing is a plus.
• Demonstrate ability to read engineering drawings, flow sheets, equipment layout, piping drawings and electrical controls schematics
• Exposure to maintaining electronic controls, pneumatic systems, pumps, pressure vessels, reciprocating and centrifugal compressors is preferred
• Ability to read and comprehend machinery and site layout blue prints, installation and operation manuals, and equipment / process specifications
• Ability to use precision measuring instruments
• PLC and instrumentation maintenance and troubleshooting are a plus
• Two years of operations experience in an industrial plant is preferred.
• Military experience is a plus
• Must be willing to take 24 hour on-call responsibilities and weekend work as required.
• Must be a self starter who effectively manages their time to identify the necessary tasks and deliver results with minimal supervision.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Team player that is flexible and has a positive attitude.
• Basic computer skills to prepare periodic reports effectively in computer based systems such as Windows/Office and other computer applications.
• Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with technical and administrative support functions across various company locations.
: Students with a background in Industrial Systems, Machine Tool Technology, Electromechanical Technology, Mechatronics, Automotive Technology, HVAC, Process Technology, Electrical Technology, Instrumentation Technology are encouraged to apply.
: Air Products is a military friendly employer that values the skills obtained through military teamwork. Our culture and company values the leadership and focus on safety that is obtained from your service. This position would be best suited for Non-commissioned Officers with specific focus in technical fields. Veterans from any branch or MOS with hands-on mechanical skill sets and, for example, experience in propulsion systems, engineering fields, nuclear power, aircraft maintenance, cryogenic technicians, and civil engineering are encouraged to apply.
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, 401K plans.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.