At Arconic, our goal is to be the best company in the world! Arconic is the world's leading producer and manager of primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum and alumina facilities, and is active in all major aspects of the industry. Arconic serves the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, and industrial markets, bringing design, engineering, production, and other capabilities of Arconic's businesses as a single solution to customers. Since it opened in 1948, Arconic's Davenport, Iowa aluminum facility has been at the forefront of American manufacturing. Nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River in Iowa, the plant employs 2,200 people and is a focal point of the global aluminum industry, with 25 percent of revenues coming from exports. Through continued modernization, including a $200 million investment over the past decade alone, Davenport has maintained its position as the world's premier aerospace supply plant and is today the hub of Arconic's $3 billion aerospace business.
This position is accountable for providing leadership and direction to assigned members of the crew in order to meet business requirements for the efficient production of metal in an ABS environment. Under the direction of the Manufacturing Department Lead Area Manager or Area Manager, or the Central Maintenance General Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible to ensure productivity, safety, quality, improved recovery, reliable and consistent delivery performance and rapid problem solving in planned and unplanned cost-effective, customer-centric environment.
These business objectives are accomplished in accordance with the principles of the Arconic Business System, modeling and teaching employees in a manner that moves the organization toward accomplishing the target condition. Results can be measured; projects eliminate waste, secure flow, and create a visual factory; and employees contribute high levels of discretionary effort.
Specifically, the Maintenance Unit Supervisor is responsible for:
- a safe work environment and a work place that causes no harm to the environment
- effective asset management in a cost effective manner including proper equipment operations and world class equipment availability
- long term viability of existing equipment
- a technically capable maintenance workforce that values diversity and is customer oriented, responsive, and flexible
- the ABS concepts and the 14 critical maintenance functions are integrated into the day-to-day operations of the department Environmental, health, and safety (EHS)
The incumbent recognizes that accident and injury prevention are equal in importance to production, quality, delivery, recovery and cost control. The incumbent accepts the responsibility to work safely and promote safety consciousness among other employees.Arconic Business Systems (ABS)
The incumbent will take a leadership role in promoting and practicing Arconic Business System concepts and philosophies within his/her span of control and responsibility.Supervisory Jobs:
The person in this job is/would be responsible for taking action to ensure that all employment practices under his/her control, including hiring, promotions, demotions, and discipline are conducted in compliance with equal employment opportunity laws and Arconic policy with regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, age, or physical ability. The incumbent shall endeavor to remain generally abreast of local, state, and federal laws, rules, regulations, and statutes governing equal employment opportunity practices.Additional Responsibilities:
- Support operating results through the management of subordinates with emphasis on quantity, quality, timeliness, safety, recovery, and delivery performance;
- Ensure work is allocated fairly and clearly assigned to crew members; formulate and assign tasks within guidelines established by Department management;
- Decide and deploy appropriate crewing arrangements for planned and unplanned situations based on absences, schedule requirements, equipment availability, and vacations within labor agreement guidelines;
- Advance the business objectives regarding quality (consistency and reliability) and costs (supplies);
- Identify opportunities for problem-solving teams targeting waste elimination;
- Apply principles of lean manufacturing (ABS) to enhance business results in accordance with Arconic values
- Make decisions about differential performance, both those requiring recognition and reward and those requiring discipline in a fair and equitable manner with supporting documentation of appropriateness of actions taken
- Carry-out responsibilities under inherently business critical elements of prioritization, balancing strategic and tactical implementation of activities throughout the flow paths.
This position must frequently seek cooperation from, persuade or influence others, and must develop relationships and persuade others to resolve problems, change people's minds, or directly produce customer satisfaction. Occasionally, the position deals with sensitive interpersonal situations and must motivate others, negotiate with others to obtain desired results.
Specifically, the Maintenance Unit Supervisor will ensure these objectives are achieved by:
- Understanding the maintenance philosophy and implementing the maintenance strategic plan to ensure cost effective asset management, long term viability of equipment, long term improvement of the maintenance organization and competent, well-rounded individuals to support operations.
- Understanding and utilizing department measures which enable tracking of performance and progress towards achieving department goals.
- Leading individual safety discussions and job specific safety reviews.
- Leading the maintenance forces in rapidly responding to breakdown situations.
- Completing the work which occurs on their shift in a cost effective manner to ensure proper process and environmental equipment operation and availability.
- Gathering data to assist in the application of root cause analysis and problem solving techniques for major exceptions.
- Working with craftspeople to apply root cause analysis and rapid problem solving techniques to minor exceptions to find and eliminate the fundamental problems.
- Developing individuals in the organization by providing challenging assignments for the craftspeople and by providing training, coaching, and mentoring for the people.
- Recognizing and rewarding people in their organizations for working as a team to meet the Maintenance and Production department objectives.
This position works 12 hour rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of maintenance experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience with direct reports.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution.
- 5 years maintenance experience is strongly preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of Company policies, procedures, and practices related to HR/IR including the bargaining and local agreements is a plus.
- A working knowledge of principles and concepts of Lean Manufacturing (ABS) is required for effective business results.
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.