This position is accountable for providing leadership and direction to assigned members of the crew in order to meet business requirements for the efficient production of metal in an ABS environment. Under the direction of the Plate Finishing Technical Leader, the incumbent is responsible to ensure productivity, safety, quality, improved recovery, reliable and consistent delivery performance and rapid problem solving in planned and unplanned cost-effective, customer-centric environment. These business objectives are accomplished in accordance with the principles of lean manufacturing, modeling and teaching employees in a manner that moves the organization toward accomplishing the target condition. Results can be measured; projects eliminate waste, secure flow, and create a visual factory; and employees contribute high levels of discretionary effort. Specifically, the Maintenance Unit Supervisor is responsible for:
- a safe work environment and a work place that causes no harm to the environment
- effective asset management in a cost effective manner including proper equipment operations and world class equipment availability • long term viability of existing equipment
- a technically capable maintenance workforce that values diversity and is customer oriented, responsive, and flexible
- the ABS concepts and the 14 critical maintenance functions are integrated into the day-to-day operations of the department Environmental, health, and safety (EHS): The incumbent recognizes that accident and injury prevention are equal in importance to production, quality, delivery, recovery and cost control. The incumbent accepts the responsibility to work safely and promote safety consciousness among other employees. The incumbent will take a leadership role in promoting and practicing lean manufacturing concepts and philosophies within his/her span of control and responsibility.
- Support operating results through the management of subordinates with emphasis on quantity, quality, timeliness, safety, recovery, and delivery performance;
- Ensure work is allocated fairly and clearly assigned to crew members; formulate and assign tasks within guidelines established by Department management;
- Decide and deploy appropriate crewing arrangements for planned and unplanned situations based on absences, schedule requirements, equipment availability, and vacations within labor agreement guidelines;
- Advance the business objectives regarding quality (consistency and reliability) and costs (supplies);
- Identify opportunities for problem-solving teams targeting waste elimination;
- Apply principles of lean manufacturing (ABS) to enhance business results in accordance with Arconic values;
- Make decisions about differential performance, both those requiring recognition and reward and those requiring discipline in a fair and equitable manner with supporting documentation of appropriateness of actions taken; and Carry-out responsibilities under inherently business critical elements of prioritization, balancing strategic and tactical implementation of activities throughout the flow paths.
- This position must frequently seek cooperation from, persuade or influence others, and must develop relationships and persuade others to resolve problems, change people's minds, or directly produce customer satisfaction. Occasionally, the position deals with sensitive interpersonal situations and must motivate others, negotiate with others to obtain desired results. Specifically, the Maintenance Unit Supervisor will ensure these objectives are achieved by:
- Understanding the maintenance philosophy and implementing the maintenance strategic plan to ensure cost effective asset management, long term viability of equipment, long term improvement of the maintenance organization and competent, well-rounded individuals to support operations.
- Understanding and utilizing department measures which enable tracking of performance and progress towards achieving department goals.
- Leading individual safety discussions and job specific safety reviews.
- Leading the maintenance forces in rapidly responding to breakdown situations.
- Completing the work which occurs on their shift in a cost effective manner to ensure proper process and environmental equipment operation and availability.
- Gathering data to assist in the application of root cause analysis and problem solving techniques for major exceptions.
- Working with craftspeople to apply root cause analysis and rapid problem solving techniques to minor exceptions to find and eliminate the fundamental problems.
- Developing individuals in the organization by providing challenging assignments for the craftspeople and by providing training, coaching, and mentoring for the people.
- Recognizing and rewarding people in their organizations for working as a team to meet the Maintenance and Production department objectives.
A little about us:
Alcoa is a global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, innovating multi-material solutions that advance our world.