Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Primary Job Responsibilities
The Controller organization is looking for a highly motivated individual with a combination of business systems, project management, and data analysis skills to assume a role within the Controller/Accounting Systems team. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic organization acting as a subject matter expert on systems and data for eBay Marketplaces. Ideal candidates will leverage their extensive systems, project management and process knowledge to be able to analyze, communicate and consolidate financial data analyses from multiple systems to contribute meaningfully to a winning organization. The successful candidate will find him/herself surrounded by sharp professionals with diverse backgrounds, operating in a fast-paced, intellectual, and team-oriented environment. This position reports to the Director, Accounting Systems or Senior Manager, Accounting Systems. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work in a cross functional role spanning the Accounting, Finance, Global Billing, Product Management, Product Development, Data Warehouse and SAP IT teams to ensure fluid integration of new business operation initiatives within Marketplace processes and systems. This includes reviewing new eBay Site, billing, and payment processing enhancements prior to launch to determine the impact to the revenue and payment reconciliation systems and then managing any required system or process changes as appropriate. Ensure transactions flow from the eBay Site through multiple systems (billing, shipping, transaction, etc.) and are correctly recorded in the SAP general ledger and DW; end to end view of data flow and process development. Requires understanding of a complex system architecture in which data flows between interconnected systems, managed by different teams. In effect, have super user knowledge of the multiple systems that will be supported.
- Lead multiple projects in multiple domains with reduced direction from manager. Provide product, project, operational and business overview, including risks, to management in the form of meetings and presentations. Influence and drive change with cross functional teams and across matrix to ensure comprehensive project coverage. Manage risks, prioritize effectively, and work to resolve issues timely.
- Support various accounting and reporting system related projects as a project manager and from a business owner perspective, including concept development, requirement identification, user acceptance testing, and production implementation from a process and operational standpoint. Provide data and reporting requirements for complex projects, develop reporting models for accounting and operational management of the product.
- Manage complex, system intensive reconciliations such as payment file reconciliations and revenue reconciliations between the billing, statutory and management reporting systems in accordance with financial close deadlines. Includes active participation in the review of the systems and reconciliation processes with internal and external auditors.
- Diagnose data quality/bad transaction issues by drilling down complex data structures to extract the root cause of variances between multiple systems and effectively communicate the results and potential solutions to accounting and technology teams.
- Continuously evaluate Marketplaces BU Operational Accounting/Finance systems and processes to identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives to stream-line existing processes and improve automation through better utilization of systems.
- Proactively monitor and review local country accounting systems and process initiatives to ensure the initiatives are designed and implemented consistent with Marketplaces Business Unit standards.
- Participate in SAP ERP implementations/updates/upgrades/configuration changes, acquisition integrations, and shared service migrations to drive operational excellence through system design and efficient accounting processes. Support the operational teams with SAP super user knowledge and testing.
The success of this role will largely be dependent on the ability to manage various partners to ensure process and systems are designed and implemented in accordance with the accounting and reporting requirements of the Marketplaces Business Unit. The model candidate will demonstrate a sense of problem awareness, an aptitude for critical thinking, an ability to break down and improve systems and processes, and a vision for future needs.
Candidates for this position must have at least 4-5 years of relevant experience and a BS degree in IT, Business Administration, Accounting or closely related field. Past experiences must demonstrate substantial knowledge working with complex systems, custom applications, extensive expertise querying databases and knowledge of data warehousing concepts/tools, operational accounting processes and systems. ERP and project management experience required, SAP preferred. Public Accounting and/or Accounting management experience desirable. Industry experience at a global growth company is a plus, but not a requirement. Candidates must be self-starters with a solid work ethic and also possess the following:
- Ability to understand a complex system architecture in which data flows between interconnected systems, managed by different teams.
- Experience with data extraction, transformation, and loading. Advanced knowledge of Teradata, SQL Queryman, Toad and Microstrategy. Proficient with extensive data manipulation using Excel and Tableau. Ability to write simple and complex queries in DW, Oracle and Access. Produce reports using SQL queries and other reporting tools.
- Strong finance functional expertise, business process knowledge, and understanding of GAAP and SOX 404 compliance.
- Effective communication skills - including the capability to listen to the needs of others, research and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present findings as well as recommendations in both oral and written presentations.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills, and experience applying these skills to resolve operational accounting process and system issues.
- Customer focus and the ability to effectively collaborate in a cross-functional and/or matrix environment; including leveraging corporate and third-party resources.
- Strong project management skills and an ability to work well with all levels of an organization.
- Superb attention to detail and able to deliver results in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Comfort with initiating and responding to change; demonstrated ability to identify, develop and implement process/system improvements.
- Focus on eBay shared purpose, commitments and behaviors.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement