About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The advance of human genetics in recent years driven by the large scale human genome-sequencing and genome-wide association in multiple disease areas has brought the research community and pharmaceutical industry an unprecedented opportunity to utilize this information and technology to facilitate innovative drug discovery and development. We have now reached a key point at which human genetics is sufficiently mature to aid the drug discovery process in several important areas.
A combination of genetic epidemiology, quantitative genetics, and functional genomics will facilitate our ability to identify mechanisms, indications, patients and biomarkers, guided by an evidence base in humans. Carefully designed and implemented pharmacogenetic studies of drug responses in clinical trials could provide novel mechanistic learnings to support combination therapy or biomarkers for patient stratification.
Here, we are looking for an expert in human genetics with sound knowledge of applying quantitative methods to human genetics and genomics as tools for target discovery/validation, biomarker/indication identification, patient stratification through genetic association analyses and functional biology studies.
• Provide quantitative genetics expertise and conduct analyses to derive impactful results through interactions and collaborations with the Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Research Unit.
• Conduct innovative research and analyses of genetic, molecular, clinical and other related data to inform project teams in target discovery, target validation, identification of potential disease indications, and precision medicine.
• Work in collaboration with research biologists and project teams to identify the best opportunities to translate genetic and related data to inform and prioritize assets in the portfolio; and with clinical teams to inform optimum patient selection, stratification and trial design.
• Provide expertise and quantitative skills on the application of genetics and functional genomics to inform:
- Identification of novel therapeutic targets
- Review and validation of therapeutic hypotheses
- Mechanistic understanding of disease pathogenesis and causal pathways
- Innovative approaches to identifying mechanism related biomarkers via integrating genetics with clinical and 'omic datasets.
- Matching novel therapies to patients with relevant disease sub-types.
• Ensure high-quality genetic and 'omics data is incorporated into exploratory research by interacting with internal partners in statistics, bioinformatics, computational biology, clinicians, and project leaders to drive genetic data analysis, data integration, and genetic methodology.
• Survey the literature and conferences for discoveries and findings from the broader genetics community. Integrate such findings into study opportunities and considerations internally.
• Manage, develop and maintain internal and external collaborative projects to specified timelines and milestones
• Communicate study findings and analyses with internal partners, leadership, administration, and collaborators.
• Manage, support and promote relationships with the external community that can add value to target selection at the company and enable collaborative use of the company patient samples
• PhD in genetics, statistical genetics, or genetic epidemiology. Background in biological and/or quantitative sciences
• Expertise in cardiovascular or metabolic disease genetics preferred
• Sound statistical and quantitative skills, with knowledge of epidemiological principals and population-based research.
• Track record of innovative and impactful research in genetics of complex traits, including peer-reviewed publications, preferably in the field of cardiovascular or metabolic disease or related traits
• Experience analyzing genetic data sets and integrating additional data types to further clinical and biological understanding
• Evidence of scientific leadership role with responsibility for research project delivery
• Demonstrated working knowledge and experience working in cardiometabolic disease preferred; sufficient working knowledge of biology, chemistry and pharmacology to be able to interact intelligently and credibly with multi-disciplinary project teams helpful
• Familiarity with genetics platforms as well as other genomic profiling technologies
• Able to effectively interact and communicate with multidisciplinary scientists, researchers, and non-scientists- internally and externally; excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills essential
• Demonstrates ability to identify, propose and develop new analytical concepts
• Able to both lead and support teams, multi-task and prioritize amongst competing time-sensitive projects, as part of a multi-disciplinary matrix team; able to work effectively as part of a research team, while being innovative, entrepreneurial, and proactive
• Willingness to learn new skills and be "change agile"
Ideally, the candidate would also have one or more the following:
• Post-doctoral studies in genetics of cardiovascular or metabolic disease
• Familiarity with cardiovascular or metabolic disease biology and causal mechanisms
• Previous experience of the application of genetics to drug discovery or patient stratification
• Proven track record of leading and delivering on multiple programs in parallel
• Strong skills in statistical genetics including GWAS data analysis, data integration
methodologies, pathway analysis and NGS data interpretation
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.