Manager, Big Data Production Support Engineer
We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We began life in 1988 by harnessing the power of big data to create customized products that disrupted the credit card industry. Now we are doubling down on that big data strategy, and we are looking for great data engineers to join us.
As a future Manager, Big Data Production Support Engineer at Capital One, you will be working on cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering solutions on an aggressive schedule.
· Aren't satisfied with status quo, and regularly look for creative ways to solve problems and help your team meet commitments
· Are insatiably curious - you ask why, you explore, and you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea
- Love learning new technologies and sharing them with your team
· Have a keen interest in using any and all appropriate tools, especially Cloud-based and Open Sourced, to solve the problem at hand
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills, due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering teams to solve complex business problems together
What you'll be doing:
· Work within a team of like-minded professionals to maintain our production environment of our internally hosted applications
- Learning new skills to build, support and maintain new Amazon Web Service (AWS) hosted infrastructure and applications
· Influence other teams and broader Engineering groups in adopting best practices
- Strong working knowledge on Unix and Linux platforms
- Leverage structured problem solving skills to coordinate multi-disciplinary problem resolution (involving the appropriate resources and making fixes as quickly as possible) and work with Problem management to ensure procedures are followed and all problems within scope are documented and closed appropriately
- Work directly with various system owners and internal teams in managing supported environment
- Participate in system design improvements and performance enhancements
- Collaborating with other platforms tech leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design
- Owning all aspects of service delivery-including participation in the service readiness process to validate that all required Conditions of Satisfaction are met prior to project rollout
- Work with IT & business partners to define system metrics and SLAs
- Reviewing system test scenarios & test cases
- Monitoring operating efficiency of existing application systems
- Maintains system support documentations and Maintains inventory of applications and associated artifacts (DR plans, contingency plans, support guides, CIs, etc.)
- Participate in DR exercises to recover applications and provide support to Ops testers
- Drives the resolution of incidents, involves the appropriate resources and ensures fixes are implemented as quickly as possible.
- Identify reoccurring issues and work with IT & Business partners to remediate using the problem management process
- Coordinates, approves, and/or performs changes to the systems within their portfolio and their infrastructure
- Periodically review and update the DR scripts to keep them updated. Keep DR information (Recovery Time Objective, Recover Point Objective, etc) .
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience Production Support experience in Unix/Windows environments
- At least 2 years of database experience with one of the following: Oracle or SQL Server or PostgreSQL or MongoDB
- At least 2 years of experience with web services architecture
- At least 1 year experience with Cloud hosting solutions
- At least 1 year experience with DevOps tools such asChef/Jenkins/Ansible/Puppet/Docker
- Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering
- 2+ years' experience scripting in languages such as Python/Ruby/Java
- Experience working with Agile Development Practices
- Certified AWS Architect
- 2+ years' experience with HP monitoring and automation tools such as Sitescope, Diagnostics, Service Manager, Operations Orchestration, or Server Automation
- 2+ years' experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk, Extrahop, or Bluestripe
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position