Manager, Cloud Operations
Posted: October 07, 2016
Reference ID: 160013Z7
As Manager of a Cloud Operations team, your role will be to manage a team of System Administrators and Database administrators responsible for delivering the industry's best Cloud Operations support to the rapidly expanding Oracle Cloud environment. While managing a dependable team executing tasks such as monitoring, managing, and tool development, you will play a critical role in providing mission critical support to a Cloud Environment conducting more than 60 billion platform transactions per week. A key responsibility of the role will not only be to execute and coach on common processes and procedures but to continually raise the industry bar by driving efficiency and overall customer experience improvement into the greater Oracle Cloud system.
Oracle Cloud is a major focus point of the company. As a result, both computing environment and human organizational growth is occurring at a rapid rate. Best of breed technologies are continually reviewed and supported for the delivery of a positive customer experience to highly acclaimed hosted products such as the Oracle Marketing Cloud and Oracle Recruiting Cloud.
As a member of the Oracle Cloud Operations management team, you will be surrounded by "willing to help" individuals representing some of the brightest and most innovative minds in the industry. You will be a part of an organization that prides itself on providing training, empowerment, and career progression.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead and manage a team of technically advanced Linux System Administrators and Database Administrators to provide industry leading support for a mission critical platform
• Direct team to follow documented standard operating procedures as well as guide the development and thoroughness of existing documentation to constantly improve the environment and supportability of the Globalized Oracle Cloud environment
• Measure and manage team performance for incident resolution, environment alert resolution and change management execution
• Communicate information both to senior management as well as local Cloud Operations team regarding necessary process/procedures adjustments
• Participate in a change management team to ensure modifications and improvements made to the environment are executed in a safe, validated, and fully understood manner
• Effectively communicate with both internal and external customers through both written and verbal forms
• Participate within post mortem investigations and provide review and resolution suggestions for both internal and external customer consumption
• Participate in external customer meetings to review and address received escalations and communicate next steps in experience improvement
• Drive team skill set improvement and product/environment support knowledge through the team consumption of new documentation and best practice information delivered from Core Product teams
• Participate in "requirement planning" conversations with Engineering and Development teams resulting in greater empowerment of your support system administration team
• Review team workflows and processes to ensure highest level of customer experience is achieved in areas such as internal/external communication, event hand-off, and overall efficiency
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Background:
• Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or equivalent work experience.
• 3 years experiencing managing technical teams.
• 5 years hands on experience with Linux, Web, Application and Database servers.
• Prior experience in mission-critical support role.
• Familiarity of industry change management best practices and Incident management process.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to coordinate with local and English oriented teams
• Project planning and management experience
• Knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Linux, RedHat, and/or other Oracle Linux platforms
• Familiarity with Oracle and MySQL Administration
• Good technical knowledge of current network hardware and standards
• Ability to conduct research into Linux issues and products as required
• Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting experience
Required Personal Attributes:
• Strong customer service orientation
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Enriching interpersonal skills
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
• Highly self motivated and directed
• Keen attention to detail
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Desired Skills and Experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Background:
• Certification(s) in Administration of: any distribution of Linux, Oracle Database, MySQL, Java , Weblogic
• Prior experience with project management practices such as agile and waterfall
• Familiarity with TCP/IP protocols, firewall management
• Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Linux, Linux services, and Linux networking
• Prior hands-on experience with LAMP Administration, Java Development
• Experience with Hadoop, Puppet or Graphite frameworks
• Experience with Jenkins or GIT or other continuous integration environments
• Experience with BSD and/or Oracle Linux
• Working technical knowledge of coding using either Python, Perl, CGI, C, shell scripting, and PHP
• Experience with virtualization frameworks such as Oracle VM or KVM
• On-call availability
• Participation in occasional meetings scheduled outside of standard business hours
Work with a world class team to develop, implement, and support cutting edge Oracle technology.
Manages a team maintaining and/or implementing software project(s) and/or internal systems. Defines, documents and manages scope, expectations, implementation approach, deliverables and acceptance testing criteria.
Leads a specialized area which may have diverse functional elements. Frequently interacts with supervisors and/or functional peer group managers. May interact with senior management. Demonstrated leadership skills. Detailed knowledge of several applications within a business area needed. BA/BS degree and relevant experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.