Discover. A more rewarding way to work.At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity: Job Description:
This is a strategic analytical role within the Discover Card Credit Risk Management team with specific responsibility for advancing the business' credit risk management strategies and policies. The position has responsibility for the management of credit card underwriting strategies for new account acquisitions and portfolio management. The candidate will leverage customer level information and predictive models to maximize profits, while using efficient trade-offs among key business metrics such as credit losses, receivables, and profit. This will necessitate identification, design and implementation of complex statistical and business analysis in support of business strategy. The successful candidate will have strong ability to translate business objectives into analytical framework and solve them by using optimal trade-offs between risk and revenue metrics. The position offers a challenging environment for the right candidate to apply experience and knowledge in a creative manner while also providing a unique opportunity to influence management and impact the portfolio in a significant way. He/she will work in a cross-functional environment with internal business partners such as Marketing, Operational Teams, Finance and Legal/Compliance. A well rounded and creative risk manager is sought with a high level of proven analytic experience. Key Deliverables:
- Initiate, develop and manage acquisition risk strategies and policies for prime card underwriting, including effective usage of advanced verification
- Partner with Marketing to understand and manage the interaction of targeting decisions with risk policies.
- Create and run an effective range of test and control programs in a fully controlled environment in support of targeting and strategy enhancement.
- Identify, research, and analyze emerging trends in the acquisition performance and the impact these trends will have on the portfolio. Monitor performance trends to anticipate necessary adjustments to strategies. Complete business modifications as appropriate based on findings of analysis.
- Establish appropriate profitability trade-offs using various tools to maximize business return on the business exposure ensuring that key business factors are understood and measured e.g. impact on usage, revenue and risk.
- Drive value-based principles into the day-to-day credit risk activities to maximize profit for the business overall.
- Develop an account level decision framework to support business strategies working closely with a broad range of business partners. Identify and explore new approaches and data sources to support improvements to existing and new programs.
- Provide risk leadership in respect of new card product or feature developments.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to require standards and processes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various consumer finance products and the credit risk function.
- Candidates will be expected to have a proven track record of credit risk management (3-5 years' experience) and must have a background in the effective application of analytic tools to business problems.
- Exhibit high levels of personal and business credibility combined with influencing skills to gain agreement to compelling arguments and concepts.
- Strongly prefer candidates with small business experience.
- A comprehensive understanding of statistical modeling tools and techniques providing the ability to drive top rate performance.
- Experience and proficiency with analytical tools for data mining and statistical analysis e.g. SAS.
- Strong communication and presentation skills required including ability to translate analysis into clearly defined and supportable strategies and policies.
- Ability to work under own initiative in a high-pressure environment while maintaining focus on key business drivers.
- Demonstrate awareness of the industry across the markets served and incorporate that knowledge into analysis and strategy recommendations
- MBA, MS or Ph. D. degree in quantitative disciplines (mathematics, statistics, finance, economics, econometrics, etc.)
#LI-RB1 We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.