About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Quantitative Medicine group in the company Neuroscience and Pain Research Unit is seeking an experienced software engineer and data scientist to help enable the capture, storage and exploration of large volume, streaming, multidimensional time-series data acquired in human studies.
This Full Stack Data Scientist will be responsible for developing, delivering, and managing software and database infrastructure for sensor data collected in translational studies in movement-disorders and other disease areas including exploratory, methodology, device validation studies. In addition, this role will be central to the development and implementation of plans to scale the data management and analytical infrastructure into a phase three clinical study within a three year time frame. The Full Stack Data Scientist will be a contributing member of a motivated and engaged team who are responsible for the day-to-day technical execution of human studies supporting several portfolio projects in both the neuroscience and rare diseases research units. This team works closely with the company clinicians and scientists, as well as external partners, to translate and industrialize cutting edge wearable technology into clinical use. Critically this individual is also responsible for contributing to the development of the IPM (Industrializing Precision Medicine) platform, including the creation of a data standards strategy for the high volume data collected from wearable sensors.
• Participate on a team of technology-focused biologists and clinicians to enable human research studies that investigate the use of body-worn and environmental sensors to monitor changes in health states of patients.
• Build, manage, and maintain big-data storage and analytical infrastructure for a medium sized research team, leveraging both internal resources and external resources, pushing the boundaries of existing database and computational technologies.
• Write, test, and deploy software to transform, ingest, and store large, multimodal time-series data streams and sets from wearable and IoT platforms.
• Seek out and manage relationships with best-in-class technology partners, both internal and external, for streaming, storing, and processing sensor data.
• Partner with Development Operations colleagues to author data standards for sensor data types that enable their use (and re-use) in clinical trials.
• Develop software methods for synchronizing, annotating, and querying multiple, simultaneously acquired time series data including wearable IMU and physiological data streams, audio, video, and motion capture data.
• Work with Business Technology colleagues in the organization to both pioneer new and ensure compliance with company technology SOPs.
• Work with medical informaticians and data scientists to participate in the development, testing, and implementation of algorithms for monitoring disease states in patient populations based on sensor streams.
• MS in computer science with 7 to 10 years of experience.
• Strong programming skills with an interest in, and proficiency for, implementing modern database architectures and querying languages.
• Comfortable with both SQL and NoSQL environments with a demonstrated ability to identify the optimal application of each.
• Proficient with one or more of the following languages: (C++, Java, Scala, Go, Python)
• Experience with one or more of the following environments: SQL, InfluxDB, SciDB, Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Hive, Flume, Sqoop, or Vertica.
• Understands and practices good software verification and validation, including documentation.
• Is a recognize leader in their field, participates in industry meetings, and maintains a strong network of technology peers.
• Experience in regulated industry (e.g. medical device or pharmaceutical) industry strongly preferred.
• Understanding of the drug development process a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to reach across large organizations and interact with colleagues from multiple disciplines including physicians, scientists, statisticians, quality assurance and business technology partners.
• Able to be entrepreneurial and focus relentlessly on delivering success on tight timelines.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.