Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you'll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.Primary Function
The Financial Shared Services (FSS) Manager Process Quality & CI is responsible for operational support for Financial Shared Services (Accounts Payable, Cash and Accounts Receivable, Credit and Collections and Real State). This includes daily support, consistency in processes and standardization across FSS Process Support, plans and executes key continuous improvement initiatives and projects using continuous improvement principles and tools to achieve significant improvement results. They serve as a functionally dedicated resource to work directly with FSS managers to support continuous improvement by demonstrating and teaching continuous improvement principles, methods and tools. They help drive process improvement in the function by consulting with managers to develop and execute continuous improvement sessions related to growth map projects or automation opportunities.Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Preferred Education & Experience
- Job manages a team, has authority to hire and performance management
- Job leads/manages 6 employees
- Complete Finance projects per year that targets a baseline improvement in order to generate cost savings.
- Provides leadership and support for the design, development and implementation of projects to support FSS strategic initiatives
- Leads required design and implementation of new processes for automation, operations and quality improvement.
- Partners with the training team to align processes and quality results to improve the operations.
- Supports audit processes within FSS including SOX, internal audit, Operational Excellence and external audits.
- Manages the FSS Business Continuity plans for the functional areas and various sites into the overall Company plan.
- Manages and maintains the process library (Confluence) by collaborating with functional staff to document and standardize work processes to eliminate waste and minimize and control variation.
- Manages the design of SharePoint sites and structures to ensure consistency amongst FSS.
- Collect and analyze functional & process performance data to identify improvement opportunities.
- Partners with functional FSS managers to link and align improvement initiatives and plans to key functional business objectives and results.
- Lead process improvement teams and CI events using six-sigma, lean or other appropriate improvement tools or methods.
- Develop and execute functional implementation plans to ensure improved processes are adopted and utilized by all stakeholders while working in conjunction with the FSS Systems Support Team.
- Track and report improvement project progress and performance to leadership.
- Train, coach and mentor functional managers across Finance and staff in the application, use and implementation of CI principles and tools.
- Manages the FSS overall quality process and responsible for operational quality reports.
- Work with the automation team to approve and document the business case for key CI & Automation initiatives that identify hard financial and customer service benefits.
- Trained and/or certified in common continuous improvement principles, methodologies and tools.
- 2+ years of Black Belt experience with proven results.
- 5+ years of business experience with 2+ years of practical Six Sigma applications.
- Minimum 5 years people management experience in a support operational environment
- Knowledge of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable or Credit and Collections processes and systems, including quality systems a plus.
- Trained in statistical / date collection and analysis techniques
- Ability to hire, lead and develop cross-functional teams through complex initiatives and multiple projects, able to allocate resources to achieve team goals.
- Ability to develop and sustain effective and energized working relationships with leaders to influence and align people at all levels in support of CI objectives
- Effective competency in interpersonal and group facilitation, written and verbal communication presentation and change management
- Ability to take a strong and sometimes contrary view when required.
- Strategic thinker / hands one executer focused on accomplishment and results
- Expertise in measurement through data collection, analysis and interpretation, statistical analysis and testing and presentation to support learning and fact based decision making (mathematics and statistical training required)
- Master's degree or equivalent work experience
- Trained in project management methods and tools / experience leading large or complex cross-functional projects preferable.
- Demonstrated leadership competency including ability to influence and persuade senior/executive leaders, plan cross-functionally, communicate to all levels, and management people performance.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate cross-functional teams including team members selections, coaching, conflict resolutions and performance management.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, coach, mentor and support project team members to learn and master continuous improvement concepts and skills in an indirect supervisory relationship.
- Able to work independently and act as consultant when needed to secure new improvement project opportunities.
- 20% travel or less
- Reports to Sr. Mgr., FSS Support Services
- Consults and communicates with all levels
- Leads, trains, and mentors direct team and CI practitioners and other project team members
- Responsible for mobilizing people resources to successfully complete projects.
- Partners with Project Manager and other FSS Support Managers to prioritize and manage projects.
- Leads the continuous improvement and quality of functional business processes
- Leads/support highly visible project teams
- Accountable to execute high impact improvement initiatives that deliver significant business results within assigned functional area.
- Role model for excellence to embed continuous improvement within the organization and develop a continuous improvement culture by engaging, teaching, coaching and supporting employees with continuous improvement principles and tools.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.