Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions.
Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels.
As part of a high-performing team, you'll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list. Primary Function:
The Manager, HR Technology is responsible for driving the strategic direction of global HR systems, and providing leadership and consulting to our most critical projects. This includes leading the HRIS team in design, testing and development of the information systems that support HR business processes. This role ensures that system solutions deliver a positive team member experience, drive adoption of HR processes, and improve the return on our investment in people. This role influences and consults on strategic plans across the HR function and provides ongoing mentoring on continuous improvement to systems and processes. This role partners with Legal and Privacy on team member data privacy matters and engages in incident response as required.
Develop and Align on Technology Strategy and Roadmap:
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads analysis on costs and long term implications of technology decisions, and ensures technology recommendations consider external research and internal business strategies
- Partners with Enterprise Systems in defining and executing yearly implementation plans
- Creates, maintains, and aligns leadership on the technology strategy and multi-year roadmap
- Translates the technology strategic plan into key metrics and goals that can be used to measure progress and demonstrate value to the organization
Lead and Consult on Critical HR Projects:
- Leads projects to extend global integrated talent management solutions, improve the leverage of HRIS and payroll investments, and support the implementation of technology for talent analytics and insight
- Leads and consults on projects which have significant strategic, risk, or talent implications
- Assists with resolution to significant production issues
Protect Team Member Data Privacy:
- Partners with Legal, Privacy, and Security to ensure that our systems and processes adhere to global privacy and security standards and guidelines
- Leads and engages in incident response in the case of a data breach of team member data.
Develop and Align on Technology Strategy and Roadmap:
Preferred Education & Experience
- Responsible for attracting, leading and developing a high performing HRIS team.
- Drive the vision for optimizing the use and ongoing maintenance of current systems.
- Ensure the HR technology strategy is linked to business and people strategies. Partner with senior HR leaders in developing short and long-range plans by synchronizing their plans with the longer term strategy and identifying areas of risk, exposure, and benefit.
- Benchmark best practices, HR technology, and workforce analytics technology; Perform research and internal analysis of business and technical strategies to inform HR technology decisions and recommend technologies to enable strategic outcomes.
- Translate the HR technology strategy into key metrics that enable progress to be measured and business outcomes to be understood. Use talent and business insights to influence and advise senior HR and business leaders. Leverage expertise in strategy, planning, financial, and analytics to improve fact based decision making on integrated plans.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate the process for initiating and executing HR technology projects which integrates the intake processes for enterprise systems, indirect procurement, data privacy, legal, and human resources
- Develop a portfolio to evolve HR technology toward more consolidated, easy to use, integrated solutions. Analyze the portfolio to enable an appropriate balance of investments and risk. Monitor the status and viability of the portfolio and communicate to ES and HR senior leadership as necessary.
- Lead and support the HR activities within the indirect procurement processes for onboarding new vendors and expanding existing contracts.
- Develop and deliver compelling technology and strategy presentations to non-technical and technical audiences; effectively communicate the HR technology strategy with ES, HR, business partners, and external resources.
Lead and Consult on HR Projects:
- Lead cross functional, multi-disciplinary project teams with internal and external resources. Identify and remove barriers on projects, and where necessary advise and influence senior level leaders on risks and issues. Ensure that projects meet customer requirements, and are completed on time, within budget, and with high quality.
- Drive improved decision making, and lead others to develop goals and initiatives that improve productivity or effectiveness with measureable outcomes. Facilitate fact-based, decision making meetings which drive technology investments and system improvements.
- Develop and execute on a roadmap to integrate global and US data through multiple sources to enable HR technology and workforce analytics
Protect Team Member Data Privacy:
- Stay current with changing regulatory and compliance requirements and serve as the HR authority on security access and controls to protect team member data and systems
- Influence the strategic direction, mission and goals for team member data privacy
- Advocate and implement Grainger defined privacy/data governance practices to meet culture and desired privacy posture. Assist in establishing a network of team member data privacy champions across global HR.
- Maintain working knowledge of applicable privacy laws and regulations and act as first line support on privacy issues escalating to legal or key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Assist in the identification and remediation of vulnerabilities and risk related to team member data privacy; help develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution in such areas.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in a related field and at least 5 years' experience in HR, Systems or data analysis
- Demonstrated experience managing information systems to support business processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR and business metrics, financial acumen, organizational awareness, and business intelligence strategies
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including communication, decision making, facilitation and influence at all levels
- Ability to meet challenging deadlines while leading cross-functional (including resources outside our organization) project teams.
- Demonstrates the ability to quickly learn, become competent in, and effectively apply new skills.
- Requires knowledge of SAP HR, SuccessFactors (and other Cloud-based solutions), talent analytics and business intelligences tools, and other technologies used in HR.
- Strong customer service orientation that places high value on customer satisfaction, confidentiality, and quality of work
- Extremely strong problem-solving and analytical capabilities
- Proven expertise managing vendor/supplier relationships, including contract negotiation, ongoing maintenance and support and problem-resolution.
- Must have the ability to determine needs, identify solutions, obtain buy in and support, and implement solutions
- Demonstrated success in managing complex cross-functional projects
- Demonstrates the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct
This is an office based position with less than 25% travel required. Impact
HR technology / systems:
- Set the strategic direction of HR systems to deliver a positive team member experience, drive adoption of HR processes and tools, and improve the ROI on people spend.
- Maintain and deliver on a HR technology roadmap that enhances HR's and the business' ability to deliver on the business and people strategies that meet the growth and productivity goals of the business.
- Improve the leverage of core investments in HR technology solutions for the North American business and integrated talent management solutions for the Global business
- Deliver internal and external workforce insights and recommendations to improve the leverage of our human capital and business results through more effective leadership decisions.
- Provides consulting and input on strategic plans across the HR function.
- Drive understanding and disclosure of team member data privacy risks and help the organization better understand risks associated with new programs, tools, and processes.
- Mitigate legal risk relating to non- compliance with applicable legal requirements and risk of claims from regulators and team members.
- Assist in meeting our legal obligations as more stringent privacy laws continue to be enacted around the World and regulators take an increasingly proactive and stricter approach to privacy compliance.
- Assist in driving a centralized, coordinated and consistent approach to Grainger defined privacy standards across Grainger to create a global standardized compliance culture.
- Collaboration across all aspects of HR - primarily with managers, directors, sr. directors, and VPs within compensation, LTOE, HR Generalists, Talent Acquisition/I&D, and HR Ops.
- Regular global collaboration with country and company HR leaders, specifically AGI and Mexico.
- Regular collaboration with ES, Finance and Legal
- Quarterly to Yearly content produced for Executive Leadership and Board discussions
- Regular interaction with third party service providers and consultants
- Infrequent interaction with educational institutions
- Annual presentations at conferences and roundtables
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.