This role is based in our Oracle | Opower office in Downtown San Francisco The Implementation Engineering team integrates, configures and maintains the Opower SaaS platform for electric and gas utilities around the world. We're a team of hard-working, creative individuals who help launch Oracle's Opower platform for new utilities, perform updates to live programs, and build internal tools to make us more efficient in the future. We need a solid engineering manager to lead and grow a team of talented individuals, coordinate delivery requirements and capacity, and dig into data and technology when the situation calls for it. Delivering new and innovative customer engagement and energy efficiency products to our utility clients is the lifeblood of Opower, and the Implementation Engineering Manager role is critical to Oracle's success!
We are looking for smart and enthusiastic engineering managers who are great leaders but also have a thorough understanding of building and deploying complex software systems using Agile methodologies. Our Implementation Engineers work in cross-functional Agile delivery teams within our Customer Success organization and rely on a diversified technical skill-set, including: data manipulation via complex SQL queries, experience on the Linux command line, shell scripting, and software development using high-level programming languages such as Java or Ruby. Client deployment work is primarily done in our offices but we still interface closely with our utility customers' technical points of contact so client facing skills are a must. In this role you will help your teams operate as efficiently as possible to continue our mission to deliver the technology solutions that utilities need to thrive in a sustainable and rapidly changing future.
- Manage four or more Implementation Engineers in multiple delivery teams. Ensure that priorities and commitments are well communicated between Implementation Engineers and their counterparts both inside Opower and with our external clients. Ensure a positive experience for our clients and their customers.
- Build relationships. Work with managers in project and client management functions to ensure that project requirements and delivery dates are well understood and that they are met. Identify and resolve prioritization conflicts and capacity constraints with delivery leads.
- Anticipate. To be a great Implementation Engineering Manager you will need to be aware of how things can break and guide your teams to anticipate and minimize delivery and operational risks. Roll up your sleeves and develop a broad view of our platform using SQL, Hive, and various command-line tools we've developed internally so you can lead your teams in the right direction.
- Be strategic. Propose and execute strategic initiatives with the Implementation Engineering Management Team that accelerate Oracle's utility business into the cloud.
- You've got scars. Your 5 years of experience as a software or implementation engineer have taught you valuable lessons that you will apply and teach to others.
- You're a great manager. You have mentored and managed numerous people in the past and have gotten great results.
- You want to own it. You embrace the challenges inherent in being fully responsible for an important part of Opower's business.
- You live the process. Let's face it, delivering software in teams is hard. You know you can't be successful without bringing order to chaos. Kanban, issue tracking, source code management, continuous integration are all second nature to you. And, you know that too much can be worse than too little.
- You're agile (and not just in the buzzword sense). You know how to succeed in a fast paced, ever changing environment and wouldn't have it any other way.
- You have strong computer science fundamentals. Our large data sets and low latency solutions require deep background in computer science.
An entry-level management position responsible for providing quality work products on customer engagements while managing a small team of consultants. Has a broad understanding of solutions, industry best practices, multiple business processes or technology designs within a product/technology family.
Performs varied and complex duties and tasks that need independent judgment, in order to implement Oracle products and technology to meet customer needs. Applies Oracle methodology, company procedures, and leading practices. Demonstrates expertise to deliver functional and technical solutions on moderately complex customer engagements. May lead the solution design and implementation aspects of engagement(s) ensuring high quality, integrated software solutions within constraints of time and budget. Effectively consults with management of customer organizations. Participates in business development activities. Ensure that operational policies are followed and that business objectives are achieved by focusing on best practices and process improvements. Responsible for operational metrics and overall business results for area of responsibility. Provides coaching, guidance and feedback to develop skills of team members. Typically manages individual contributors. Demonstrates multiple business process expertise within one product family or technology solutions architect and design expertise for one technology product and understand cross stack impacts.
6-8 years of experience relevant to this position including 3-4 years consulting experience and 1 year of engagement/team leadership experience. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred. Product or technical expertise relevant to practice focus. Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to build rapport with team members and clients. Ability to travel as needed.Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.