Parallon® is one of the healthcare industry's leading providers of business and operational services. We are uniquely equipped to provide a broad spectrum of customized services in the areas of revenue cycle, purchasing, supply chain, technology, workforce management and consulting. Parallon® is committed to supporting healthcare providers improve the health and well-being of their communities.
The Manager of Insurance Follow-up
directs and coordinates insurance verification, billing, and follow-up activities within the assigned department, ensuring client satisfaction on service and collection performance. Coordinates, manages, and facilitates workloads, assignments, tasks, and projects recognizing production goals of assigned staff. Supervises:
Staff members involved in insurance verification, billing, and follow-up for early out and bad debt collection accounts. Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains an adequately trained staff to handle current production goals. Monitors and ensures that production expectations and quality of work are being achieved by the staff.
- Provides coaching and development daily though informal observation and formal monitoring and provides staff with performance feedback. Completes and maintains required documentation regarding performance and training/developmental needs.
- Directs and coordinates follow-up activities with insurance providers regarding status of claims. Discusses nature of outstanding balance and provides any and all backup to provide to confirm balance and expedite payment.
- Assists with screening, hiring and training of new staff members. Evaluates existing staff members. Coordinates training sessions as necessary with trainer to ensure that the staff is properly trained in their job functions and understands and follows proper procedures.
- Maintains and monitors weekly/monthly payroll and scheduling for all staff which includes time off and overtime issues and approves employee time records. Manages time off requests to ensure no department impact on daily expectations.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Operations by providing analysis and trends regarding client placements, production goals, client expectations, and other relevant parameters that support collection activities for all self-pay clients.
- Prepares daily and weekly reports and/or spreadsheets as needed and ensures all reporting is completed timely and accurately. Makes changes when necessary and forwards them to the staff. Reviews weekly inventory/production reports.
- Maintains a working knowledge of client policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with all existing state and federal regulations, including but not limited to, HIPAA, FDCPA and FCRA. Works with the compliance officer to address and resolve violations.
- Practices and adheres to the Parallon "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Operations to coordinate and implement policies and procedures, as well as special projects. Tracks and trends results.
- Demonstrates solid leadership skills. Establishes expectations, monitors performance, coaches and develops, drives accountability and ensures a sense of urgency. Creates a strong team environment.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Knowledge: Working knowledge of the collections industry and exposure to healthcare collections. Working knowledge of insurance claims processing, including Medicare processing. Familiarity with coding, CPT, medical terminology and credentialing desired. Solid understanding of work flows, analytics, key performance indicators and follow up activities associated with the industry. Strong working knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software and the ability to extract and analyze data. Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university; or an equivalent combination of related experience and advanced formal training.
- Experience: A minimum of 4 to 6 years working in collections, insurance, hospital back office or a similar industry with call center or customer service center experience to include at least 2 years previous front line management experience. Experience working with a collections system and standard office products a must.
- Competencies : Demonstrated leadership, analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Ability to use information for making sound decisions and skills to take appropriate action. Ability to coach and develop front-line staff. Ability to collect, create and research complex or diverse information and act/plan accordingly. Exceptional customer service and the ability to plan organize and exercise sound judgment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom