HealthTrust (HealthTrust Purchasing Group, L.P.) is committed to strengthening provider performance and clinical excellence through an aligned membership model and the delivery of total spend management advisory solutions that leverage our operator experience, scale and innovation. Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, HealthTrust serves approximately 1,600 acute care facilities and members in more than 26,000 non-acute care sites.
Job Summary - Provide management, planning, communication, and support of pharmacy operations workflow. This includes but is not limited to support of IV admixture services, non-sterile drug processes, general pharmacy workflow, pharmacy compliance and optimizing drug disposition. Would involve policy and procedure template development, competency development, quality and regulatory process, IV formulary development, vendor management and program metrics. This position will serve as a subject matter expert in sterile admixture and compounding regulations for an independent hospital to an integrated delivery networks (IDNs) as well as overall pharmacy workflow.
Duties (included but not limited to):
- Provide leadership in the area of pharmacy workflow and IV regulations
- Assimilates information from variety of sources, able to analyze data and make recommendations and executes a course of action.
- Assist in developing and achieving established metrics regarding IV admixture services
- Assists in development, implements, and coordinates within the hospital or system policies and procedures related to IV services and compounding
- Assists in onboarding, training and development of pharmacy operations and technical staff
- Identifies quality and service-oriented customer solutions and shares key learnings with others
IV Admixture and Compounding
- Assists in the development of annual pharmacy operations business plan in conjunction with field and corporate clinical pharmacy groups that ensures positive patient outcomes and appropriate drug utilization. This plan is not limited to but should include the following:
- Targeting anticipated regulatory changes
- Assist in development of best practice recommendations and tools for IV admixture services that impact operations to minimize adverse events and ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
- Analyze global pharmacy expense as it relates to labor, supplies and vendor utilization to assist in identifying areas of opportunity and implement appropriate use and development of protocols and guidelines.
- Assist in development and management of annual IV room workflow strategy working with hospital, system or IDN pharmacy operations groups and clinical services group. Select new items for inclusion/exclusion in annual budgets based on data and regulatory changes.
- Communicate critical news and events related to regulatory updates at least monthly.
- Liaison with prescribers and other appropriate staff for specialty input into formulary decisions
- Develops supporting documentation, "white papers" or other information needed to facilitate budget planning, facility construction, implementation of hardware/software solutions.
- Lead development and implementation of educational programs to increase awareness around USP797, USP800 and other regulatory provisions
- Assist in the development of educational programs associated with IV room workflow, IV preparation, hazardous substance handling and compounding
- Assists in development of supporting tools needed for standardized IV admixture and compounding services
- Assist with strategy for insourcing versus outsourcing strategy in line with regulatory guidance
- Assists with review of pharmacy workflow assessments to optimize use of pharmacy resources
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes in various pharmacy operational activities and provide input as product and service decisions are made
- Organize and lead groups of key stakeholders to evaluate utilization of different levels of staff necessary to run operations
- Assist with development and oversight of key compliance areas within pharmacy operations and serve as SME to validate operational recommendations
- Interacts and develops relationships with internal and external stakeholders to better understand needs and challenges.
- Continuously defines and improves customer solutions.
- Forecasts, develops and executes pharmacy operations solutions tools that will meet future needs of customers.
- Ability to lead and collaborate within a team setting in a variety of functional settings.
- Provides educational opportunities to customers.
- Builds and maintains strong, effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders within HealthTrust, individual hospitals, hospital systems and IDNs organization's leadership and staff.
Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited school of pharmacy required; Doctor of Pharmacy degree preferred.
Minimum of 2-3 years hospital pharmacy operations experience required. Experience supervising IV admixture services or in compounding operation preferred. Adept in MS Office Suite.
Licensed Pharmacist (must be TN licensed within 6 months of hire). Certification in USP797 and/or Hazardous Compounding preferred.