Manager, State Tax Audits (Job Number: 024260)
Deerfield Corp North - 300 WILMOT RD
300 WILMOT RD
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We're taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe's Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home. Job Summary
The Tax Manager, State Tax Audits is responsible for supporting all state and local income/franchise, sales/use, gross receipts tax audits and appeals by researching legal authority relevant to tax positions being defended on audit, drafting legal memoranda to analyze tax positions for purposes of audit defense and to support tax reserves, review IDRs to assess issues being addressed on audit, assist with submission of documentation to auditors, and assist with audit management as necessary.
Manages and executes tax strategies in order to reduce the Company's overall tax burden and risk. Helps to ensure that tax planning initiatives are properly incorporated into the tax compliance process. Assists in driving process improvement opportunities for tax function. Supports acquisition team focusing on due diligence and integration. Serves on a cross-functional team, providing technical knowledge and advice to team members.
Addresses technical issues through utilizing specialized tax and accounting skills and recommends solutions. Job Responsibilities
- Manages the tax process for a specific tax function. Implements short and long-term tax savings strategies by collaborating with the various tax functions.
- Partners with planning function to provide support and development of new processes for planning projects.
- Develops staff by explaining complex tax concepts and procedures, documentation and presentation requirements, research and writing techniques, business transactions, and tax minimization and audit defense strategy.
- Support audit function by analyzing and reviewing information requests and collaborating in the resolution of audit issues.
- Participates in divisional and company-wide projects and programs to develop engagement for division-wide and company-wide initiatives.
- Manages the preparation of tax filings which minimize overall tax liability to the Company and continually develops tax improvements to minimize tax liability.
- Upon acquisition, implements processes with acquired company's management to integrate processes.
- Partners and collaborates in the tax audit defense process.
- Partners and collaborates in the development and execution of tax strategies that reduces overall tax costs/burdens to the Company.
- Collaborates with Finance and Accounting on tax and accounting issues impacting the Company's financials.
- Develops, mentors, coaches and manages staff ensuring the development of employees through orientation, training, establishing objectives, communication of rules, and constructive discipline; builds employee morale, motivation and loyalty.
- Proactively recommends changes in tax procedures, tax methodology and/or tax calculations to tax teams.
- Monitors tax legislation and provides advice on tax issues. Conducts research of applicable tax laws in order to resolve complex tax issues and resolves tax issues and develops best practices for team to implement.
- Manages consulting relationships by identifying consultants for projects, developing scope and fees for task order and managing project deliverables by consultants.
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 6 years of experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion.
- At least 4 years of experience with technical tax laws, regulations and interpreting tax laws.
- At least 3 years of experience supporting the execution of tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- At least 2 years of experience in the indirect management of team members, including assisting in the development, training and assignment of work/projects to other members of a team.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Economics.
- CPA or Master's Degree in Taxation.
- Tax audit experience.
- Legal research and analysis experience.
- Written and verbal communication skills, including clearly stating needs, and writing persuasive and tactful communications.
- Understanding and experience in application of various state tax laws, regulations, and case law.
- Large professional services firm or law firm experience.
A little about us:
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.