Position and Candidate Specification
Revenue Recognition Manager Position Summary
The Manager, Technical Accounting and Revenue Recognition is a critical role in the corporate controller & accounting office as well as the worldwide Finance Team. Overall, the responsibility of this role is to ensure that we have complied with all accounting requirements under US GAAP, including the adoption and application of new accounting standards and establishment of accounting policies to support our emerging business models. The role supports the Senior Director of SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting and the Senior Manager, Technical Accounting and Revenue Recognition in formulating and maintaining Activision Blizzard's accounting policies and procedures and provides an oversight of the company's revenue recognition process under US GAAP. The individual will work closely with the business units to address any accounting and finance related issues and developments, and has close interaction with the Corporate Controller and Chief Accounting Officer. Specific responsibilities
To ensure that financial results are effectively reported, accurately and in compliance with US GAAP the specific responsibilities include the following.
- Performing technical research and consulting with management to ensure that proper accounting treatment, in accordance with SEC guidance and GAAP, are properly applied for all transactions, including unusual and non-recurring transactions, and the implementation of new pronouncements;
- Consider implication of new accounting pronouncements on our current policy and standards;
- Document the application from accounting research;
- Support the communication of impacts from any change in accounting requirements, and support necessary training;
- Work closely with corporate accounting, consolidation, and business units in addressing day-to-day business activities and associated accounting implications, and participate in ad hoc project requiring specialized accounting;
- Work closely with the planning team and the Senior Manager, Technical Accounting and Revenue Recognition to develop and present the GAAP related forecast;
- Collaborate with Company's external auditors on technical accounting topics, new pronouncements, and its applications
- Evaluate and update current processes and policies as a part of system implementations;
- Establish, develop and maintain Company's revenue recognition policies and procedures;
- Evaluate the Company's revenue recognition policies under the new accounting standards;
- Evaluate the Company's lease accounting policies under the new accounting standards;
- Provide oversight and perform analytical review of the Company's revenue recognition process; and
- Involved in the implementation / upgrade of the Company's revenue recognition system.
This position also develops and maintains the finance and accounting technical policies and provides updates for management and staff on key technical accounting issues in order to train and develop employees, and build a consistent and robust understanding of accounting concepts and policies throughout the organization. Experience and Skills requirements
The ability to research, understand and apply accounting literature is a must requirement for this role.
A minimum experience of 5 to 6 years with one of the Big 4 firms and/or commercial experience at the Manager level with strong track record of technical accounting & research experience. CPA with Bachelor's degree in Accounting is required.
Strong US GAAP and accounting skills required in the areas of:
- Revenue Recognition (relates to software revenues accounting, and multiple revenues arrangement, ASC 606);
- Lease accounting standards;
- Consolidation / Equity Accounting (relates to variable interest entities analysis);
- Segment / goodwill / business combination & intangibles accounting;
- Software developed for sale and for internally used accounting;
- Cash flow statements;
- Accounting for debt and other financial instruments, including derivatives;
- Functional currency assessments; and
- Ideally experience in Film and Television and/or franchise accounting industries
- Good working knowledge with the SEC requirements in relation to Reg. G non-GAAP compliance.
This role provides an exceptional opportunity for an individual with technical accounting skills to broaden their operational finance skills & experience both in this role, and future technical accounting role at Activision Blizzard.
A strong candidate will also have strength in the following areas:
- Able to quickly convert technical research, interpretation into practical solution
- Strong analytical skills and critical thinking
- Teamwork and collaborative partner management with good interpersonal skills;
- Strong communication and presentation skills - verbal, written and schedules;
- Good project management skills;
- Planning, priority-setting and multi-tasking; and
- Managing others, coaching & development.
The compensation package for this role will be highly competitive. About Us
Headquartered in Santa Monica, CA, Activision Blizzard is a global interactive entertainment software leader and the world's largest independent video game publisher.
The company's product portfolio includes Activision Publishing's Call of Duty ® , Skylanders ® and Destiny ® franchises, as well as Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft®, Warcraft®, StarCraft®, Overwatch ® , and Diablo® franchises.
Activision Blizzard is the parent company of Activision Publishing, Inc. and Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and provides corporate shared services such as Legal, HR, Finance, IT, Accounting, Facilities and Sales, for both companies.
We are lucky to work in a business where imagination, creativity, and play aren't only encouraged, they're required.