The Manager – Technical Accounting & Contracts role is responsible for researching and concluding on the accounting treatment for all material contracts entered into on behalf of the company, serving as the technical accounting expert and providing guidance to others throughout the organization. This role also provides support to manage the activities of general accounting functions, including developing, implementing and maintaining systems, procedures and policies to ensure the maintenance of the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the production of various financial statements, analyses and reports.
- Researches and concludes on the accounting treatment for all material contracts entered into on behalf of the company.
- Prepares technical accounting memos on significant contracts and coordinates with various accounting groups to ensure appropriate accounting treatment.
- Provides accounting guidance to groups across the organization to support contract negotiations and business case development.
- Serves as the technical accounting expert and accounting policy consultant providing recommendations on various transactions and contractual arrangements.
- Plays central role in “operationalizing” executed contracts to ensure the company is meeting contractual obligations as well as monitoring contract benefits.
- Develops and maintains internal controls related to the contracts and accounting memo process.
- Supports the Accounting & Reporting team on various SEC filings and other deliverables, including reviews and coaching of associates.
- Ensures accounting practices throughout the organization are adhered to in accordance with GAAP
- Interacts with functional peers and/or other company and parent company management involving matters between functional areas or other company divisions.
- Participates in complex accounting projects resolving a wide range of issues in innovative as well as pragmatic ways.
- Interacts with executive management providing guidance for use in effective management of the business.
- Conceptualize and oversee development of new analyses and reports providing insight to business trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Acts as a liaison between the company, government, auditors and other stake holders.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA or MBA preferred. Six plus years of accounting experience with two - four years in supervision preferred. Big 4 public accounting experience preferred In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures. General knowledge of financial concepts required. Experience performing technical accounting research and applying GAAP to specific facts and circumstances.
- Broad experience and knowledge in all areas of Accounting/ Finance.
- Strong PC literacy skills in a Windows environment with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Access and Word).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management and associates.
- Working knowledge of computer software, general ledger and financial systems.
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements
- Normal office working environment.
- Cyclical, unplanned and occasional substantial overtime required.
- Light travel.
A little about us:
At U.S. Cellular, we are proud and passionate about providing the world’s best customer service. If you are interested in joining our dynamic organization, click the button below to apply on our company site!