At MetLife, we seek to make a meaningful impact in the lives of our customers and our communities. In Legal Affairs, we strive to attract, develop and retain diverse talent with the potential to be future leaders of our department and of MetLife as a whole. We seek legal and compliance professionals who demonstrate high intellectual capacity to understand complex matters facing our company, combined with strong leadership competencies to motivate and inspire higher performance by all our professionals. We take an active role in developing the skills of our talent and guiding their professional growth. By promoting skill development and career advancement for our professionals, we are better positioned to serve our internal business partners and to help achieve MetLife’s vision of becoming a world-class leader in the insurance, retirement savings and employee benefits industries.
Job Location: United States : New Jersey : Paramus
The Managing Attorney for New Jersey House Counsel will report directly to the Sub-Unit Manager in the Claims Litigation Department and will lead and manage the New Jersey House Counsel Office in defending MetLife’s P & C Insureds for covered losses. The position will involve management of an experienced trial attorney and administrative professional along with hands-on litigation duties. The Managing Attorney will be responsible for hiring, leading, developing and motivating their team.
· Lead team of a trial attorney and administrative professional/paralegal which will meet and exceed Met P&C’s litigation guidelines
· Representation of Met P&C Insureds, and/or Met P&C in personal injury lawsuits, No-Fault and coverage actions
· Handling all aspects of litigation from initiation through trial (client contact, case evaluation, motion practice, depositions, arbitrations, mediations, trials and appeal)
· Responsibility for day to day operation of office including facilities, equipment and business continuity
· JD and New Jersey Bar Admission required
· 10+ years litigation experience including record of taking New Jersey personal injury trials to verdict (liability and damages), Bergen, Essex, Passaic and Hudson Counties preferred
· Superior oral and written communications skills
· Thorough understanding of medical conditions/ability to understand and analyze medical records
· Proven track record of managing/handling a high volume litigation case load
· Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, with a track record of building relationships and effective partnerships
· Self-directed, creative and strategic thinker who is collaborative, decisive and uses sound judgment with an eye on efficiencies
· Exhibits high degree of professionalism establishes priorities, adheres to deadlines, can work independently while motivating others
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 45201