As a leader in business and personal insurance and other financial services products, The Hartford offers professionals many possibilities for career growth. And whether we're helping customers or building careers, we're experts at creating advantages that help people reach their goals. Overview of the Position
The Multinational Managing Director is a lead underwriting resource for our Multinational underwriting practice. In this role the Managing Director will be a key member of The Hartford's (HIG's) exciting expansion and growth initiatives to build and execute a broader international risk strategy that supports mid-size and large U.S. domiciled risks. More specifically, partnered with our home office and regional underwriting teams, this role will underwrite Controlled Master Programs (CMPs), manage the placement of compliant locally admitted policies with our global network, oversee the underwriting of HIG's Exporters Package, and provided International expertise at the point of sale as needed to differentiate HIG's Multinational Choice offering.
This Managing Director will report to the Head of Multinational and share responsibilities for the development of the underwriting guidance, forms, rates and execution strategy for growth of the international products and capabilities that supports HIG's commercial market business segments.
- Act as the senior leader in the respective region/geography representing the multinational underwriting practice.
- Achieve the Multinational profitability and net premium growth objectives, as established for each Multinational product line
- Develop and execute on Multinational product, underwriting guidance, pricing models, and operational processes
- Define and manage underwriting quality standards
- Identify product differentiators and appetite expansions to facilitate profitable growth
- Develop and implement specific Multinational underwriting training to instill expertise among our broad underwriting community.
- Promote constructive, clear communication, and accountability for Multinational results.
- Work closely with service network partners to administer and manage placement, billing and underwriting of local admitted policies
- Collaborate with other businesses in support of their Multinational needs and capabilities, including Small Commercial, Hartford Financial Products, and Group Benefits, to implement and execute appropriate product, sales and marketing plans
- Facilitate and promote The Hartford's Multinational brand and capabilities with customers, prospects, associations and events
- Develop talent pipelines for recruiting and on-boarding of Multinational underwriting staff and field Multinational Advocates
Risk Portfolio Management
- Execute on behaviors and achieve profitability objectives, including Growth, Retention, Net Rate, New Business and Combined Ratio
- Coach Underwriters to positive behaviors in support of Multinational
- Collaborate with field staff on agency meetings and sales calls execution to promote submissions that include international coverages
- Opportunity identification, pipelining and articulation of the Multinational appetite
- Quote/Hit/Yield Management
Leadership Enterprise Accountabilities
- Ensure that all underwriters are achieving Quality standard for International Exporters and address all performance issues, and maintain Quality standards for CMP book.
- Identify and take appropriate action on poorly performing accounts, and preserving the Agency Relationship in the process. Measure outcomes using appropriate tools and metrics
- Maintain an appropriate portfolio mix of business across all lines.
Talent Management & Engagement
- Represent Multinational within the Middle Market offices, managing multinational contributions to and collaborations with all business groups (Key Accounts, Small Commercial, National Accounts, GBD, Bond, HFP, SGL, Medmarc). Own and take accountability for driving financial performance and operational excellence in enterprise results.
- Develop specific strategies and execute on initiatives for Multinational growth for Top VIP and Partner agents as part of local agency sales planning and management
- Collaborate with local teams on Large lines process
Diversity & Inclusion
- Support recruitment, retention and on-boarding of key talent
- Maximize employee productivity, increase discretionary effort and deploy continuous improvement practices
Role Clarity & Decision Effectiveness
- Incorporate D&I within vision, messaging and communication; visibly sponsor and encourage participation in D&I activities and events
- Adopt Hartford Operating Principles and participative decision style and behaviors; hold oneself and others accountable
- Take structured approach to decision making using clearly defined criteria, roles and process
- Make, support and implement high quality, timely decisions
- Push decisions to the right level and support delegated authority
Execution & Ownership
- Model personal integrity, drive the importance of ethics and compliance throughout the business, provide appropriate resources (including personnel and training) to support compliance needs
- Address compliance issues in a timely and proactive manner, proactively engage compliance throughout the lifecycle of initiatives and projects, and promote a culture in which every employee feels free to speak up about issues of concern without fear of retaliation.
- Drive the Commercial Markets and Middle Market agendas with increased responsiveness to customer and distributor needs using more streamlined decision-making and execution
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that will contribute to writing more profitable multi-line business, appropriately expanding our risk appetite and empowering individuals to win while adhering to strong underwriting and ethical standards
- Facilitate the development of stronger multi-line underwriting and sales skills that lead to improved Middle Market and Hartford performance
- Identify individualized learning opportunities for employees that will drive their performance to the next level
- Support high-impact discussions and actively solicit employee contributions and ideas
- Be risk-tolerant and learn from failures
- Drive the Middle Market strategy by creating line of sight for each employee; emphasize how each employee's role contributes to the organization's objectives and create clarity between strategy and individual objectives
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that facilitate collaboration and teamwork. Leverage Field and Home Office expertise to strengthen our position as a top carrier in the marketplace
- Identify and execute on specific opportunities for staff to regain confidence / swagger
- Visibly champion a culture of accountability, embrace new ideas, and actively demonstrate proactive collaboration;
- Celebrate and communicate successes related to risk-taking, collaboration across segments, overcoming hurdles and problem-solving, and collectively winning profitable business
- 7 years international underwriting experience, including specific experience both exporters and CMPs with local placements
- 5 years leadership experience in commercial insurance practice
- Broad underwriting, financial/business access and strategic leadership skills
- Strong financial/business acumen skills
- Ability to travel approximately 25-50%
- A consistent, proven, high level of performance and achievement over career span in International Insurance and Global Risk Management
- BA/BS Degree required. Advanced degree attractive. CPCU preferred.
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD