Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) has partnered with Tesla Motors, Inc. to construct a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada. Panasonic's role in the Gigafactory will be to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells and based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is planned to produce 35GWh of cells, which will double the world’s current production!
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, high quality and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power. SUMMARY/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Designs and develops Li-ion battery manufacturing processes by performing following duties :
- Battery cell manufacturing process improvement for mass production lines
- Conducts research and development work for new and existing production lines to improve cell assembly process on safety, quality and productivity.
- Analyzes and evaluate cell physical data including dimensions of jelly roll and cell, and some cell cross sectional dimensions to determine direct and interaction effects of the machinery and processes under evaluation based on data collected in laboratory experiments and pre-production operations.
- Analyzes operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and cost of assembly manufacturing processes.
- Provides engineering support to cell assembly as well as electrodes production teams to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Work closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of cell products.
- Collaborate with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
Applies principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (B. S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field) from four-year College or university.
- Experience including internship or curricular training in assembly manufacturing environment or lithium-ion battery cell assembly production is a plus.
- Experience on laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM or similar methods in lab is desired.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory.
- Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
In addition to an environment that's as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.