DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The purpose of this role is to lead an engineering team within budget and to plan, using best practice technologies, innovation, and people development. This role supervises engineering activities including duties associated with sustaining production or supporting project activities mainly in the following two areas:
• Supports the daily needs of the assigned manufacturing area in terms of meeting the requirements for safety, quality, compliance, capacity, availability and cost as part of the sustaining engineering function.
• Supports the strategic needs of the assigned manufacturing area in terms of implementing new and improved processes and new product introductions along with the necessary manufacturing equipment meeting the requirements for safety, quality, compliance, capacity, availability and cost as part of the project engineering function.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organization & Talent Development
• Supervises a team consisting of manufacturing engineers and engineering technicians.
• Assists in the development and actively participates in the implementation of the Company’s strategic imperatives / objectives.
• Implements the strategic imperatives of the project engineering function in coordination with the site level strategic imperatives and objectives.
• Allocates proper level of resources to facilitate attainment of project goals within established timelines and budgets and monitors smooth execution of plans and programs at lower levels and cross functionally.
• Assists in organizational development and improvement for the project engineering function to be able to meet the ever evolving needs of manufacturing.
• Is responsible for employee performance management and development. This includes but is not limited to identification of training needs, stretch assignments, and identification as well as definition of opportunities for development.
• Coordinates cross functional teams to drive business and organizational results in the area of responsibility.
• Creates and maintains an environment of innovative continuous improvement, focusing on safety, quality, cost, delivery and process development.
• Assists in setting business metrics for the team in line with site and company objectives and provides performance feedback to employees.
• Promotes effective research and identification of engineering solutions (internet, magazines, visits of other facilities, exhibitions, etc.) along with further education to identify gaps in the team’s capabilities and to find new ideas and develop strategic skills needed to ensure readiness for future technological trends.
• Ensures all project engineering associates adopt and live the behavioral standards.
• Ensures associates are rewarded and recognized for their work on specific projects and providing guidance and coaching where necessary or appropriate.
Business Results & Performance
• Ensures the team’s compliance with all government and company regulations, policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and Work Instructions in support of quality, regulatory compliance, health, safety and environmental requirements.
• Ensures regular communication of business performance/issues to all relevant employees.
• Actively promotes Health & Safety within the project engineering team, ensuring Health & Safety is a goal for all direct reports.
• Manages the expenses and capital investments to budget.
• Manages, develops and leads team members in a manner that will facilitate successful project execution, to achieve the desired results in order to fulfill and improve on the team’s performance objectives and relevant metrics.
Collaboration & Team Work
• Communicate on a regular basis with department and site level management regarding detailed status of all projects and activities.
• Works as a partner of the associated department(s) to maintain efficient communication and ensure alignment to site and company level objectives and project prioritization.
• Provides leadership within the project engineering team that will encourage efficient communication and team work.
• Ensures there is close collaboration between associates in Engineering, Product Development, Operations, Regulatory, Quality Assurance, Planning, Materials, etc. when introducing new products and / or making product or process changes.
• Actively participates in or leads activities associated to the DePuy Synthes Engineering Cluster, MD&D Engineering Initiatives and CoEs, and Virtual Teams.
• Efficiently and constructively escalates people, process, and product related issues ensuring adherence to appropriate communication practices and inclusion of all relevant functions.
• Provides engineering advice and assistance to the associated operations department and other engineering teams within the site and in other operating companies as needed.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assists in planning for as well as schedules and manages the engineering project and capital portfolio in support of the associated operations area(s), ensuring all initiatives adhere to good engineering and documentation practices, are appropriately staffed, are run within budget, and are aligned with prioritization and strategy on a site and cluster level.
• Assists in overall department strategy development outlining technological, organizational and cross-functional needs in alignment with site and cluster level strategic goals, technological guidelines, and organizational models.
• May own and lead cross-functional focus strategy development and related implementation activities (e.g. Technology Roadmap, Standard Works, etc.).
• Plans and directs overall engineering activities and oversees technical execution of projects related to the project engineering team in support of the associated operations area(s) for existing processes and activities related to new product introductions.
• Assists with teams in troubleshooting day-to-day problems, discrepancies, and investigations of non-conformances.
• Ensures adherence to the relevant safety requirements for equipment and processes and define, coordinate, and execute corrective actions involving the relevant internal and external resources.
• Assists in the development of capital investment plans for the business considering strategic needs, improvements and innovations, driving cost improvements while meeting capacity needs.
• Supports the development of SOP's, Work Instruction, and other control processes or practices as it pertains to the area of responsibility.
• Ensures adequate documentation, project management and capturing of lessons learned for projects within the team using standardized templates and/or appropriate software applications.
• Plans, conducts, and coordinates activities related to the development of new or improved processes including researching current and emerging technologies, evaluating process safety, quality, cost and capability alternatives.
• Ensures utilization of appropriate engineering principles and standard strategies as e.g. Lean and 5S principles when implementing improvements of existing manufacturing processes.
• Ensures adequate and consistent development of user requirement specifications for new equipment and processes for new capital projects using standard templates following applicable HSE and legal requirements.
• Ensures consistent development and review of business cases and financial justification for all CIP and capital investment projects in adherence to internal, franchise, and J&J requirements.
• Ensures cycle times of the manufacturing processes are correctly determined as a basis for the development of process improvements and the implementation of improved technologies.
• Ensures adherence to GxP principles in the development of tooling, fixtures and machining solutions in order to provide cost effective solutions and a safe working environment.
• Ensures efficient utilization of human and other natural and technical resources when defining new technical solutions to offset generally increasing cost.
• Ensures adherence to applicable risk management practices when introducing new products and/or processes.
• Assists with and follows up on addressing internal and external audit findings making sure open action items are given appropriate priority and are addressed as needed.
• May act as a technical reference or lead special projects in individual areas of expertise as needed.Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree required and engineering degree preferred in technical field.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in manufacturing engineering is required.
• Must have 2 years supervisory experience is required.
• Must have a proven history of continuous improvement & successful project completion is required.
• Must have the ability to manage a project portfolio and associated prioritization activities is required.
• Experience in a cross-functional project manager role is required.
• Strong written, verbal communication and computer skills.
• A proven track record of motivation, team building, and employee involvement is required.
• Previous experience within the Healthcare/Medical Devices Sector is required.
• Experience in CAPA, risk assessment, and process validation is required.
• Certification in Six Sigma and Lean is preferred.
• This position is located in Monument CO, may require up to 20 % domestic/international travel. Primary Location
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)Job Function