Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
This position is a temp 2 month position.This position reports to Weekend Swing (D) shift. This shift schedule is Saturday and Sunday 9:42 AM to 10:12 PM, plus a third day during the week. This shift requires working on all company designated holidays. Due to business need, on select occasion employees may be required to work overtime and/or support operations on an alternate shift.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Clean manufacturing and associated support areas.
• Clean production equipment.
• Provide critical process monitoring and trouble-shooting of minor problems, may use measuring devices to make product/process quality decisions.
• Provide support to Manufacturing operators and may make decisions on product acceptability.
• Follow departmental safety procedures, may conduct cGMP audits of department areas.
• Assist in updating SOPs.
• Perform removal of hazardous waste.
• Train other technicians.
• Perform the operations he/she is qualified on, which may include the following
o Process Monitoring
o Buffer/Solution make up
o Set up and operation of various equipment
o Centrifugation and Filter Press operations
o Other activities as determined by the supervision
• Perform precipitate and paste collection from Westfalias and Filter presses.
• Perform alcohol and or buffer additions.
• Must have general working knowledge of how to operate, clean, and set up Westfalia centrifuges and filter presses.
• Must have good written and verbal communication skills and understanding of cGMP regulations.
• Proficient in a variety of mathematical disciplines and be able to work with both the metric and USA standards of measurement.
• Must be able to read and follow detailed written instructions.
• May require immunization before performing work within the manufacturing area.
• Must be able to perform all three step and five step cleaning as per the current equipment cleaning procedure at the plant.
• Must have general knowledge of how to perform additions, weigh up solutions using portable and floor scales, and properly package and contain precipitates and paste.
• Must be able to demonstrate leadership skills
• Must have good computer skills.
Education and/or Experience:
Requires AA degree with 0-2 years relevant Manufacturing experience or high school diploma with 2-4 years relevant Manufacturing experience.
• Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 50 lbs.
• In general, the position requires a combination of sedentary work and walking around observing conditions in the facility.
• Must be able to work in controlled environments requiring special gowning. Will be required to follow gowning requirements and wear protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body.
• No make-up, jewelry, contact lenses, nail polish or artificial fingernails may be worn in the manufacturing environment.
• Will work in a cold, wet environment.
• Will be working in a loud area that requires hearing protection and other protective equipment to be worn.
• Will work around chemicals such as alcohol, acids, buffers and celite that may require respiratory protection.
• Must be able to work multiple shifts, including weekends.
• Must be able to work overtime as required.
• May be required to work in a confined area.
• Some Clean Room and cool/hot storage conditions.
Shire's Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.