Material Planner Job Summary & Background
There is pride inside the production of the best-selling mayonnaise brand in the United States. With over 100 years of history, Hellmann’s is one of Unilever’s $1B brands with the #1 and 2 top selling SKUs in North America.
The Raw Material Planning position is responsible for raw material non-finished good planning at the Kilbourn factory in Chicago, IL, which has over 100 varieties of mayonnaise that run on 8 production lines. Kilbourn is North America’s second largest volume factory, Unilever’s largest dressing factory, and includes two of the highest speed dressing lines globally at 450 bottles per minute. Product made at Kilbourn is distributed all over the world, including Japan, South Africa, Tahiti, Israel, Chile, and the Caribbean.
This position plans the supply of raw materials required to satisfy production activities at Kilbourn. This includes setting up materials in SAP, placing orders for materials, scheduling delivery of necessary volumes as per production forecast, and following through the production cycle to assess risks and minimize losses in materials or time. Position Responsibilities
- Fulfilling material requirements from numerous suppliers in the appropriate quantities and at the required time based on the production schedule
- Recognizing and communicating the risks and lead times for materials and the impact of various functions in this process
- Leading process improvements with raw material suppliers to improve service and cost
- Managing the raw material components of the innovation process as a key member of the innovation team.
- Managing inventories and materials waste to achieve business and working capital targets
- Improving system utilization and automation for all raw materials
Skills, Competencies and Physical Requirements
- Balancing inventory, storage, and waste while achieving zero losses for Material Not at Line (MNAL)
- Identifying and implementing creative solutions to prevent or correct for unplanned events
- Undergraduate degree in Logistics, Operations Planning, Engineering or related fields
- 3 years of relevant experience
- This position is a focal point of the tactical operation of the category. Numerous interfaces with people from a variety of functions requiring good judgment, strong people skills, process understanding and growth mindset
- Strong analytical skills, exceptional attention to detail, and good project management skills required
- Out of hours contact is required for the position for operational issues that may arise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete an online assessment. Completion of the assessment is mandatory. In order to be considered, please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and assessment. If the assessment is filled out partially or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the assessment at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law .
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.
A little about us:
With more than 400 brands focused on health and wellbeing, no company touches so many people’s lives in so many different ways.