Company: General Electric
Location: Marlborough, Massachusetts
Posted: December 15, 2017
Reference ID: 3039852
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The scientist will be responsible for supporting Bioprocess R&D product development and product care initiatives with materials science expertise. They will provide guidance on material selection and support customer inquiries related to material compatibility for products used in biopharmaceutical production. In addition, they will provide technical expertise to support manufacturing process development initiatives and problem-solve for existing products and processes.
• Design, implement, and analyze experiments for the characterization of materials (thermoplastics, adhesives, etc.).
• Design and conduct experiments and engineering studies to broaden the fundamental understanding of the performance of materials in product applications.
• Design and execute studies to understand the interaction of materials with process fluids and proteins.
• Extensive experience with materials characterization tools (e.g. AFM, SEM, Raman, FTIR, mechanical test bench, etc.)
• Develop test methods for in-process and/or finished product testing.
• Participate in cross-functional teams on new product development and product care problem-solving efforts.
• Enhance organizational knowledge related to material science by continuous assessment of current literature.
• Contribute to the generation of ideas and potential inventions to be used in new products.
• Prepare application notes, reports, publications, and presentations.
• Actively participate in site EHS program.
1. BS degree in Materials Science or Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering or related field with emphasis in Materials Science.
2. Minimum of 2 years' related experience in polymer (plastics) and composite processing (e.g. extrusion, injection molding), polymer resin formulations, and adhesive chemistry.
1. MS or Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science and Engineering, or related field.
2. Record of innovation in the area of scientific expertise.
3. Experience working in a cross-functional, global team environment.
4. Experience with material selection for 3D printing.
5. Understanding of relevant standards for materials used in the pharmaceutical industry.
6. Competency with cross-functional teamwork and professional interactions with customers in the biopharmaceutical industry.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Strong computer skills, understanding of the scientific process, as well as, analytical instrumentation and theory skills
Locations: United States; Massachusetts; Marlborough
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.