Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Cummins Power Generation Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Seymour, Indiana for a Materials Engineer-Technical Specialist.
Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
Laboratory Test Technology - Metallurgical -
- Applies specialized knowledge of materials science with engineering principles and practices, to identify and advance solutions for design, manufacturing and quality problems.
- Works with cross functional teams on projects that require, material selection, failure analysis, material characterization, interpretation and writing of specifications, product quality inspections, material process quality audits, material process development, production process validation and material property data. Initiates evaluation and implementation of beneficial emerging material and material processing technology.
- Applies technical expertise on complex components or projects and works under minimal supervision.
- Leads small projects or portions of large projects.
- Provides technical direction for a project or a project team.
- Participates as a key contributor and is accountable for project success.
- Influences at department or program management level.
- Provides input on program-related decisions.
- Proposes innovative initiatives and projects.
- Demonstrates depth of knowledge of engineering discipline(s) and leverages expertise on other projects.
- Troubleshoots complex problems and recommends appropriate actions.
- Assists with the transfer of knowledge; coaches and mentors less experienced engineers.
The engineer shall have specialized knowledge and experience with basic and advanced chemical & metallurgical lab test technology, to the extent that they are able to drive innovation and provide technical direction for a project team on the characterization of physical, mechanical, chemical and micro structural properties. Failure Analysis -
The engineer shall have specialized knowledge and experience with failure analysis, to the extent that they are able to drive innovation and provide technical direction for a project team to collect the forensic, manufacturing, and service data needed to determine root cause and deliver short / long term counter measures. Material Characterization Techniques -
The engineer shall have diversified knowledge and experience in characterizing materials/substances based upon results of analysis techniques such as identifying atomic structure, nano-scale compositions, surface morphology, and surface chemistry as relevant to the sub-discipline. Skills and Experience Required:
3 years of relevant work experience required.
This position is based in Materials Engineering Laboratory the Seymour Engine Plant. Skills:
Education & Experience:
- Candidate shall have a fundamental knowledge of mechanical properties of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, structure-property correlation, metallurgical characterization technique such as hardness/tensile testing, non-destructive testing, fractography, microstructural evaluation, scanning electron microscopy and other good metallurgical lab practices.
- Manufacturing and processing knowledge of near-net shaped engineered parts as they apply to automotive applications is desired.
- Ability to perform failure analysis to the extent that individual is able to initiate root cause data-gathering, correctly interpret the data, and report results to customers with limited supervision.
- Articulate lab work plans, and collect and report data using the appropriate metallurgical characterization techniques. Other job tasks include, but are not limited to, metallurgical process design, development/validation for production support, SQI support and Customer development.
- Understanding of automotive quality assurance will be considered an asset.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills to partner with supply chain in supplier selection, validation, and post-launch troubled shooting are desired.
Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical or Materials engineering. A higher degree will be an advantage. A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required . Compensation and Benefits
Base hourly rate commensurate with experience . Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.