Praxair Surface Technologies (PST), a subsidiary of Praxair, Inc., a Fortune 300 company that supplies atmospheric, process, specialty gases, high-performance coatings, and related services & technologies is seeking a Materials Scientist specializing in Thermal Barrier Coatings to work at our corporate Research and Development Center located in Indianapolis, IN.
The Materials Scientist will conduct research and development on ceramic thermal spray coatings, primarily used for thermal and environmental protection in gas turbine engines. This is a hands-on position requiring innovative thinking, documentation of ideas, process development, and implementation into production. Materials Scientist
- Leads efforts in research, development and introduction (application development) of new or improved thermal and environmental barrier coatings that complement the existing product line
- Understands the commercial objectives of a project and defines technical parameters and requirements to achieve these objectives
- Resolves technical roadblocks to maintain progress to product development milestones
- Develops contingency actions and provides technical leadership to resolve both production and customer related issues related to the product line
- Works closely with Sales and Customer Service to engage and support the global customer base on current applications, growth opportunities, and customer issues (serves as the technical resource for Sales in addressing technical issues/questions raised by customers)
- PhD in Material Science, Ceramics, or Chemical Engineering required
- Minimum of 3-5 years of coating industry-oriented R&D experience required
- Working knowledge of Thermal Barrier, Environmental Barrier, and relate ceramic systems required
- Experience related to coatings processing techniques and testing methods required
- Experience in commercial plasma systems is desired
- Candidates must demonstrate a track record of innovative thinking and technical accomplishments
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time
- In addition, this individual must have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a multidisciplinary environment
PST is a supplier which abides by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As such, persons considered for this position must be either a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder) or otherwise classifiable as a U.S. person under relevant ITAR regulations.
A little about us:
A global Fortune 300 company that supplies atmospheric, process and specialty gases, is focused on making our planet more productive.