Are you passionate about building innovative devices and technologies? The Surface Team focuses on lighting up Microsoft experiences with touch first computing. A fundamental part of our strategy is having desirable and powerful devices that enable the experiences people want, and elicit their excitement. Creating these devices involves a close partnership between hardware and software engineers, designers, and manufacturing. We are currently building the next generation and Surface needs you!
Role & Opportunity:
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer who is charged-up by leading system-level and sub-system designs through fast-paced product development cycles. A strong mix of technical breadth and vision allow you to work cross-functionally to tie mechanical assemblies, optics, electronics and software and into compelling experiences.
You are highly motivated and enjoy bringing technical and tactical leadership to cross-disciplinary teams. You will play a key role in ensuring product designs are best in class and help drive adoption of cutting edge technologies, materials and process. In addition, you will be part of an energetic team that values teamwork and strives to ensure the highest quality hardware.
Your work experience includes mechanical product design preferably in the area of electronics products. This includes designing mechanical parts and assemblies for manufacture. You are knowledgeable of the material properties of various plastic resins and metals. You have experience in both tolerance analysis and CAD design and you have demonstrated the ability to deliver a solution to the customer’s need through your design.
A track record of innovation and experience in selecting material and components to achieve cost targets is desired. The establishment of specifications and written test plans, including the development of test procedures to verify your designs are integral to the position. An ability to manage projects and design rigor against development timeline needs is required, and your excellent communication skills allow you to work seamlessly with teams across various engineering functions and geographies. As such, you are willing to travel internationally at times to support design and manufacturing activities. You must be able to work well with international contract manufacturers.
Primary tasks include:
• Assessing product design needs and develop/implement plans for new part designs.
• This includes design boundary condition investigation, supplier selections, space needs and layout requirements to meet the design objectives
• Work closely with team of Mechanical Engineers to assist with top down design architecture, perform detailed 3D part design, and/or 2D detailed drawings
• Rapid prototyping for early evaluation of design concepts
• Manage mechanical bill of materials
• Mechanical design of complex mechanisms suitable for volume production taking into account ID requirements, part tolerances, manufacturability, cost and weight while working with a cross-functional team to satisfy additional product requirements
• Plan, prepare and perform mechanical tests, e.g., stress, thermal, shock, vibration, hardness, cycle, impact, etc., leveraging reliability teams where appropriate
• Verify product maturity per test plans and conduct analysis of device architecture for potential design, assembly & process related weaknesses
• Work with engineering teams to conduct advanced root cause and risk analysis evaluations
• Document and present test results to internal customers, along with risk mitigation recommendations
• Support factory builds during development stages of product creation.
• Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering or other Science related Engineering degree
Your competencies include:
• BSME or equivalent
• Product development experience preferably in the consumer electronics space
• Experience supporting bring up of factory development builds
• Expert in PTC Creo (Wildfire) mechanical CAD software preferred
• Demonstrated ability to rapidly iterate multiple design concepts through a combination of analysis and rapid prototyping
• Demonstrated capability managing mechanical bill of materials
• Demonstrated knowledge of GD&T principles
• Excellent knowledge of materials and manufacturing process
• Excellent knowledge of hardware testing
• Competency in setting up and analyzing DOEs in a manufacturing environment
• Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to plan, prioritize and organize own work
• Ability to coach and mentor others as well as take direction
• A practical and creative mindset
• Knowledge of Mandarin and Cantonese a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.