Job Description:Job Summary
The Mechanical Engineer will develop product designs for fire protection products. Activities include developing product design concepts, lead prototype generation and testing; conducting detailed studies to support design decisions; and maintaining records of design process in accordance with sound design practice and ISO requirements. The Mechanical Engineer will interface with many internal functional departments and external resources as required for product development from project idea phase to product launch. Job Responsibility
- Translates Functional Requirements into Design Specifications.
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology developments to ensure the company sees available opportunities for technical improvements in products and services.
- Confers with research personnel and other technical functions as required to clarify and resolve problems and develop designs.
- Optimizes product design using engineering analysis. (such as stress analysis, fluid flow analysis, and thermal analysis)
- Directs and coordinates prototype efforts.
- Prepares and directs others in the preparation of design layouts, detailed drawings, and specifications.
- Analyzes product and equipment specifications to support decisions on initial design direction.
- Plans, develops, conducts and oversees experimental test programs
- Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish and/or evaluate performance standards and limits for new or existing products.
- Keeps abreast of the company's product offerings, within the area of involvement, to support decisions on initial design direction.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the company's manufacturing operations, to understand the strengths and weaknesses of design concepts from the point of view of manufacturability within the company.
- Maintains a working knowledge of general industry and specific agency approval requirements, to ensure compliance is maintained in designs.
- Plans and holds meetings when appropriate.
- Prepares and presents reports and presentations as needed.
- Interacts and coordinates project activities with internal functions and external partners throughout design process.
- Performs all elements of the job in accordance with established procedures.
Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering with 3+ years' experience or minimum of 10 years design related experience in Fire Suppression. Technical Skills
- Product Design & Testing (problem solving skills)
- Project Management (multi-tasking)
- Strong Interpersonal and Communication Skills (can build and manage effective teams)
- Computer Proficient (MS Office, MS Project, CAD, preferably Pro-Engineer)
- Organized & Detailed Oriented
- Self-Motivated and Drives for Results
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific and technical documents. Ability to timely respond to internal and external technical and business related inquiries. Ability to prepare documents, reports, presentations and present in a format appropriate for the targeted audience. Ability to positively/professionally interact with all personnel.
ANALYTICAL SKILLS and REASONING ABILITY: A strong ability to define a problem and then utilize advanced math concepts (ex: algebra, calculus, trigonometry, polynomial equations, statistics, etc.) to collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. The ability to apply these concepts to actual hands-on tasks and tests is essential.
ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: An attention to project organization and detail is critical to success as the integrity of the engineering project data and ability to task multiple simultaneous projects as well as to support the routine technical needs of the business is a job requirement.
DESIRE TO LEARN: Ability / Desire to continually learn. Essential to keep abreast of product design and offerings within areas of assigned support responsibility. Maintain a working knowledge of in-house and external manufacturing processes associated within product support areas. Maintains a working knowledge of general industry and specific agency approval requirements to insure product compliance.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.