At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Mechanical Engineer for the 3M-Personal Safety Division- SCBA and Fire Solutions R&D Laboratory located in Monroe, NC. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Mechanical Engineer
is responsible for development of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) respirators. A successful candidate will search out new and improved technologies, materials and processes that create performance advantages. Candidates will ensure that standards of quality, product and program costs, safety, reliability, and timeliness are met.
Candidates will be responsible for providing documentation and sufficient performance data to assess form, fit and function for performance, reliability, and manufacturability as well as to facilitate approval of those products from appropriate regulatory bodies. The successful candidate will work closely with other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and lab technicians to optimize the physical design of the SCBA.
Ideal candidates will have a basic working knowledge of injection molding, sheet metal design, pneumatics, 3D solid modeling, FEA software, machine design, and GD&T. Experience with SCBA or SCUBA respirators is a plus.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- This position will report to the Mechanical Engineering Leader for SCBA, and be responsible for the design and development of mechanical components and sub-systems of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- Individual will work closely with other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, lab technicians, and designers to design, test and ensure product performance meets requirements of quality, cost, safety, reliability, schedule, and performance as well as regulatory requirements.
- Will participate on cross functional teams during new product development programs including design reviews, DFMEA's, and regulatory submissions.
- Isolate root cause and resolve mechanical issues in existing products. When needed, able to resort to formal problem-solving techniques.
- Provide hands-on approach to testing, including proof of concept, design validation and regulatory agency approval.
- Creative engineer with strong aptitude in problem solving. Able to work within the team framework to meet project deliverables. Embraces challenges with an open mind.
- Provide real-time, transparent communication to management on design progress and any obstacles that would prevent meeting design schedules.
- Bachelor degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in mechanical design
- Experience with DFM and/or DFA
- Working knowledge of 3D solid modeling (Inventor or Creo preferred).
- Ability to manage projects under time constraint
- Able to work in a geographically diverse development organization with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated passion for new product development.
- Use of DFMEA's during new product development.
- Understanding of FEA modeling.
- Mechanical design experience with metals (sheet metal and machined component design), plastics (injection molding), composites and other materials incorporated in SCBA.
- Working knowledge of GD&T and statistics (Minitab).
- Experience with Pneumatics.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to develop relationships and engage with people quickly
May include up to 10%Relocation:
Is not authorized
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election. About 3M
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or onTwitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Here, you go! For information about a career at 3M go directly to www.3m.com/careers .
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.