Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Engine Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Fridley, MN for a Mechanical Engineer- technical specialist.
Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Applies specialized knowledge of engineering principles and practices across various areas and projects in the design, development, analysis and release of products and subsystems through the product life cycle.
- Creates design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, product life, manufacture, assembly and service.
- Verifies design using analysis and or functional testing, interprets results, drives decisions and assesses risk. Works with other engineering disciplines and cross-functional disciplines to resolve product issues.
- Evaluates customer needs and aligns requirements with identified customer expectations. Applies technical expertise on complex components or projects with minimal supervision.
- Leads small projects or portions of large projects.
- Provides technical direction for a project or a project team.
- Participates as a key contributor and is accountable for project success.
Influences at department or program management level.
- Provides input on program-related decisions. Proposes innovative initiatives and projects.
- Demonstrates depth of knowledge of engineering discipline(s) and leverages expertise on other projects.
- Troubleshoots complex problems and recommends appropriate actions.
Assists with the transfer of knowledge; coaches and mentors less experienced engineers.
Concept Design/Architecture - Able to perform concept design/architecture at an advanced level, proficient in the application of concept design/architecture in a wide range of work situations and able to lead/ train/ coach the application of concept design/architecture.
Design For Manufacturing And Assembly - Performs design for manufacturing and assembly at an advanced level. Proficient in the application of design for manufacturing and assembly in a wide range of work situations, able to lead the application of design for manufacturing and assembly, train/ coach others in the development of design for manufacturing and assembly skills/knowledge.
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing - Specialized skills in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T), has demonstrated/ applied application of geometric symbols, symbol's requirements, tolerance zones, and limitations along with an understanding of the effect/ impact of Rule #1. Able to lead/ teach/ mentor and sought out for direction / interpretation.
Integrated Design Failure Mode And Effects Analysis (iDFMEA) - Specialized skills in Integrated Design Failure Mode And Effects Analysis (iDFMEA) for complex component, algorithm, control system, or other simple system to logically organize complex cause-fail mode-effect relationships, appropriately identifies risk areas, identifies and prioritizes actions necessary to mitigate risk. Leads / coaches a cross-functional team through the iDFMEA process and teaches/ mentors new users in the basics.
Machine Design - Specialized skills in Machine Design, able to carry out/coordinate a Machine Design project to a wide range of work situations and the skill can be applied at an advanced level. Leads/ coaches/ mentors new users in the basics. Education, Licenses, Certifications
PhD, Masters of Science, Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in engineering required. Experience
5 years of relevant work experience required. Experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Intermediate level of relevant work experience required, such as responsibility for several components of a project or a complex component of a project.
- Employee will be the responsible design engineering authority for a subset of Fridley stationary genset products less than 1 MW.
- The additional responsibilities of this role include supporting manufacturing and manufacturing test in a design and troubleshooting role, performing as the primary technical support on supply chain, marketing, quality or other business projects, answering technical requests from a variety of stakeholders and changing engineering data in our systems as needed following documented processes.
- Other responsibilities include making Cummins a great place to work by ensuring safety, utilizing team based work principles, promoting inclusion, and creating a culture of appreciation.
Salary commensurate with experience plus bonus. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.