In this role you will be responsible for the design of industrial refrigeration and gas compression pressure vessels and associated equipment for both food and beverage and petrochemical markets. This position consists of mechanical project and design responsibility under the supervision of a department manager. This individual will be responsible for the creation and implementation of engineering documents to support manufacturing and the customer. Our Mechanical Engineers interface with sales, purchasing, other engineering groups, and manufacturing to resolve issues and suggest improvements relating to design and fabrication.
- Maintains a very good understanding of engineering principles, theories, concepts, and processes. Routine use of mechanical and structural sciences. Occasional use of thermodynamic, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer knowledge.
- Prepares engineering documents to support Manufacturing and customer needs.
- Responsible for material selection and component design of ASME pressure vessels and heat exchangers.
- Occasional involvement in selecting valves, purchased heat exchangers, pumps, motors, and compressors.
- Evaluates and implements corrective action for package quality initiatives.
- Relates applicable codes (ASME, TEMA, ASCE, NBIC, PED, ASHRAE) and design standards.
- Provides technical guidance to Suppliers, Purchasing, Customers, Marketing, and Operations.
- Responsible for communicating technical direction to others (CAD designers, technicians, etc.) who assist on specific work assignments.
- Independently reads and interprets basic schematics (electrical, piping, etc.) and drawings (assembly, machining, welding, etc.).
- Checks designs and drawings for correct use of mechanical components and verifies contents of designs.
- Resolves shop issues relating to design and fabrication.
- Apply computer knowledge to automate and streamline calculations and workflow.
- Travels to acquire training within the industry and occasional travel to resolve supplier and customer issues.
- Adheres to the Company's Code of Conduct and Ethical Business standards.
Who we are
- Travel requirements are minimal (i.e. less than 10%).
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you. US JOB DESCRIPTIONS ONLY Equal Opportunity & Non-Discrimination
- Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law. To view more information about your equal opportunity and non-discrimination rights as a candidate, visit EEO is the Law , EEO is the Law (supplement) , and Pay Transparency Non-discrimination .
Qualified candidate must have a good understanding of theories, concepts, technical principles and processes related to mechanical and thermodynamic aspects of compressors and associated systems. He or she must demonstrate proficiency in mechanical design and be able to conceptualize and implement design ideas into the finished product.
- BS degree in Engineering or related science required.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in ASME BPVC Section VIII-1 pressure vessel design, or related field.
- Codeware's Compress design program fluency a plus.
- Strong computer skills including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and basic concepts of 3D solids design and 2D CAD.
- Programming knowledge (Excel VBA, MathCAD or similar).
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also essential.
- The individual must have the ability to work independently and as part of a group.
- Basic understanding of fundamental business processes.
- Self-motivated work initiative.
- Desire to be a continual learner.
- Customer oriented mindset.
- Finite Element analysis (e.g. ANSYS) proficiency a plus.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
- HTLM proficiency a plus.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.