What you will do
A segment of Johnson Controls, Tyco Fire Protection Products is a global leader in fire and life safety. We provide fire detection, sprinkler, suppression, special-hazard, and emergency communications solutions to customers in countries spanning six continents. With more than 30 manufacturing facilities worldwide, we provide safety and security for millions of customers around the world every day. Plus, we offer a comprehensive array of testing, inspection, maintenance, and repair services to keep fire and life-safety systems in top working order. We are looking for a talented Mechanical Engineer Intern to join our Innovation and New Ventures team Cranston, RI! Our Cranston location is a state of the art R&D facility responsible for new product design and introduction as well as maintenance of existing product lines.
The primary responsibilities of the intern will be to support research, design, and testing for our projects. The individual will apply mechanical engineering fundamentals to address challenges involving fluid flows in the field of fire and life safety. This individual will report to the Physics and Modeling team. Specific duties are listed below. How you will do it:
- Compile and analyze test data.
- Confer with research personnel and other technical functions as required to clarify and resolve problems.
- Prepare and present reports and presentations as needed.
- Interact and coordinate project activities with internal functions.
- Provide creative improvement contributions to the chosen programs.
- Develops and effectively communicates his/her ideas or improvements/variations on the ideas of others.
- Very adaptable and open to new concepts and procedures.
- Preliminary understanding of how to apply fluid mechanics theory to analyze complex products to support goal of optimizing current designs and design processes.
- Complete FEA and CFD analysis and share results with management team (ANSYS suite of tools).
#internship What we look for Required Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited U.S. college or university
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Completed sophomore year working towards a BS or completed first year of an MS degree.
- Qualified majors: Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the U.S.
- Computer proficient; with experience in MS Office, MS Project, ProE preferably experienced in ANSYS suite of tools.
- Must be familiar with product design and testing.
- Strong analytical ability to solve programs and ability to learn quickly.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills to generate process instructions and reports.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and cross-functional teams with minimum guidance.
- Ability to follow a structured project management process including document meeting minutes, action items, and monitor progress.
- Assignment starts June 2018, and continues throughout the summer, must be available for this time frame.
Who we are
- Previous business internship/co-op experiences with strong business acumen beneficial (preferable not required).
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you. ABOUT JCI'S INTERNSHIP/CO-OP PROGRAM
During your assignment with JCI, you may have a variety of developmental opportunities in addition to your work assignments, such as, roundtable discussions with senior leaders to skill-building workshops, networking events, and community activities. No matter what your assignment, you will be presented with exceptional opportunities that help you explore diverse career paths! For more information on our company, a list of other intern/co-op opportunities, or to create a profile you can visit us at www.johnsoncontrols.com/careers
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.