Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms.
Scott Safety is a well-established, leading brand in the Life Safety Industry with revenue of approximately $600 million dollars and 1100 employees with five manufacturing sites. Scott Safety specializes in respiratory protection devices including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), gas and flame detection products and personal protective equipment (PPE). Main end use markets include Fire Services, Military and Civil Defense, Petro-Chemical Oil and Gas, Marine and general industrial markets.
Leads a team of mechanical engineers in the design, prototype, test and production of life safety equipment, applying hands-on product development experience, supporting the team to meet scope and budget with aggressive schedules. The candidate is a champion of change management and engineering excellence, continuously reviewing and refining processes, making improvements to eliminate waste/inefficiencies and aggregating/tracking KPIs.
Close collaboration with program management, electronics, firmware, software, chemical, and manufacturing engineering teams is necessary. Motivation and encouragement is required to continually sustain and improve the current products as well as create new product ideas, working closely with sales and marketing to incorporate the voice of customer. The candidate will work with advanced manufacturing and operations teams to coordinate transition of engineering changes to production as well as the release of new products. The candidate will also work with supply chain and quality departments to ensure that all production issues are resolved in a timely manner.
• Leads, supports, mentors and recruits a highly skilled, innovative engineering staff
• Develops, implements and enforces policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department (PDM, PLM, DFM, DFMEA, design reviews, validation testing, etc)
• Analyzes technology, project needs, and market demand to plan and assess the feasibility of projects and manage a dynamically allocated pool of internal and external resources
• Accomplishes results primarily through management of professional teams with several electrical/firmware sub-disciplines and multiple geographic locations, leveraging team leaders, supervisors and managers
• Approves expenditures and makes decisions about the purchase of materials or services
• Reviews and approves contracts and cost estimates, writes and presents proposals, reports, and findings to senior management
• Sets scientific and technical goals within strategic outlines developed at the BU or JCI level
• Develops and maintains technology road maps
• Identifies and integrates subject matter and industry expertise
• Develops, maintains and communicates all related metric, KPI and scorecard data
• Identifies risk within department or business and recommends improvement plan to control risk
• Provides direction for others to ensure that organizational goals and objectives are achieved
• Supervises or trains project team members as necessary, to ensure that the skills and performance of the team meets the organization's needs
• Confers and liaises with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing and potential engineering issues
• Works in a team environment with minimal supervision to plan and accomplish specific objectives and to complete tasks per a defined schedule
• Performs individual assessments and conducts periodic formal and informal performance reviews
• Familiar with part design, material selection, assembly/machine design, 3D modeling of parts/assemblies in CAD software, creation of 2D and process drawings for quoting and material procurement
Education and Experience Requirements:
• 10 years functional + 4-6 years managerial experience across multiple global sites
• BS in Engineering required from an accredited university, Masters preferred
• Experience recruiting and managing entry level to principal engineers, and engineering managers
• Strong communication and technical skills with the ability to quickly grasp technical issues/concepts
• Experience working in a geographically diverse development organization with multi-disciplinary teams
• Design experience in the following areas: designing metal components (machining, sheet metal forming, forging, etc), injection molded plastic designs with high strength and high temperature materials, rubber and elastomeric molded components, high performance fabrics; machine design, high pressure pneumatics, intrinsically safe and IP-67 ratings
• Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma philosophy, theory, and application tools / tactics
• Experience with DFSS, Kaizen, CTQs, KPIs, DFMEA and PLM
• Proficiency in Pro/E (CREO), AutoDesk Inventor, Baan (ERP), GD&T, FEA, Computational Fluid Dynamics, static and dynamic analysis
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills, experience with design simulation and analysis tools
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.