At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Mechanical Research Specialist for the 3M's Corporate Software, Electronics and Mechanical Systems (SEMS) Laboratory located in Maplewood, MN. Here, you go.Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Mechanical Research Specialist
will collaborate with teams of highly skilled people to invent and develop technologies that create and support 3M business opportunities. They will have the opportunity to propose new technology projects and build the teams and resources necessary to drive those projects to commercialization. Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Invent and develop mechanical engineering technologies that create new opportunities, in addition to supporting existing 3M products and businesses.
- Lead and collaborate with research teams in corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications that use his/her problem solving, scientific, and system engineering skills.
- Use rapid prototyping resources to quickly develop proof of concept products and systems for commercialization.
- Publish and present knowledge within 3M and in top-tier journals and conferences.
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Master's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on 4.0 scale
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Master's degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or related discipline from an accredited university
- Product development experience (includes Internship or Co-op)
- Research experience in design for 3D printing / additive manufacturing including CAD software experience, advanced surface modeling, point cloud manipulation, and/or custom model automation.
- Research experience in robotics, micromechanics, and/or compliant mechanism design.
- Expertise in mechanical engineering sub-disciplines such as: system engineering, statics and dynamics, lab measurement methods, mechatronics, additive manufacturing / 3D Printing,
- Software tools and Programming languages: CAD (SolidWorks, Creo, and/or NX), MATLAB, Python, and/or LabVIEW
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities - flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available.
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated ability to fabricate, build, and test solutions
- Leadership and networking skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
May include up to 10% domesticRelocation:
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A little about us:
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.