At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: 3M is seeking a Mechanical Technician for the Abrasives Systems Division located in Detroit, MI. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go. Job Summary:
The person hired for the position of Mechanical Technician
will work in the Plant Engineering department. Mechanical Technicians must possess a high degree of mechanical knowledge. Mechanical Technicians must be able to diagnose complex mechanical problems and plan repairs. They must understand basic facility and process equipment repairs as they apply to the Detroit Plant. Install, troubleshoot, repair, modify, and make adjustments to machines, and mechanical devices used in production, laboratory, office and utility areas. They must be able to plan, install and troubleshoot mechanical projects and equipment. Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
This position will require:
- Repair/replace bearings and bushings
- Replace gear boxes and transmissions
- Repair, replace, align motors
- Splice conveyor belts
- Replace, adjust pump seals
- Repair, replace clutches, brakes and drive components
- Repair, replace, align couplings
- Repair, replace, and change valves
- Setup, operate and read precision testing and measuring instruments to the instrument manufacturer's specification and accuracy. Precision testing and measuring instruments include devices such as: VOM's, thermometers, velometers, scales, tachometers, strobe lights, data loggers, gages and recorders
- Troubleshoot/repair pneumatic and hydraulic equipment
- Troubleshoot, repair and make standard adjustments to mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment and machinery including fixed and variable speed power transmission systems and reciprocating piston equipment
- Perform basic machining; set up and operate shop equipment and portable power tools, use precision measuring equipment for machining, adjust speeds
- Replace encoders and tachometers
- Adjust, calibrate and repair tension controls
- Maintain, rebuild and replace vacuum pumps, hydraulic pumps, chemical feed pumps, centrifugal pumps, gear pumps, vane pumps, auger and screw pumps and pneumatic diaphragm pumps
- Perform pipefitting tasks; install, repair, select and replace pipe, tubing and fittings
- Perform millwright tasks; move material, equipment and machinery using standard methods of lifting, rigging, hoisting, blocking, skidding and rolling.
- Level and tram rolls
- Troubleshoot/repair electrical equipment; replace and wire motors, repair and replace contactors and relays, replace fuses
- Use proper material joining and cutting process techniques and fabricate and repair machine parts
- Perform preventive maintenance tasks on production equipment, lifting, hoisting and material handling equipment, safety devices and facility utilities following standard procedures as indicated on PM route sheets or in equipment manuals
- Complete shop records and use reporting system following established procedures as required for effective performance of the job or operation of the department
- Participate in production changeovers and adjustments
- Read and work to the indicated accuracy, specifications and tolerances as detailed on engineering drawings, machine assembly prints, machine construction prints, pneumatic and hydraulic schematics, blueprints, sketches, equipment manuals and vendor diagrams
- Observe 3M Safety Rules, 3M Guide to Conduct and Plant Engineering department work rules
This position may require:
- Working overtime as needed
- Weekend work
- Working on holidays as needed
- Short notice shift coverage
- Working 3rd shift
- Up to 12 hour shifts as needed
- Frequent physical demands, including:
- Prolonged standing
- Climbing Ladders/Heights
- Overhead work-squat/kneel
- Operating powered industrial vehicles
- Ability to use self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) or full face respirator (requires clean shaven face)
- Lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Possess a High School Diploma/GED or higher
- Minimum six (6) years of experience in industrial maintenance OR Possess a two (2) year technical degree or diploma in a maintenance field with a minimum of four (4) years of experience in industrial maintenance
- Minimum 6 (six) years of experience in Industrial Maintenance AND possess an Associate's degree in a field relating to Industrial Maintenance with an emphasis in Mechanical Systems
- Experience in pneumatics, hydraulics, plumbing, pipe fitting, conduit work, welding and fabrication, working with motors and drives and conveyors, troubleshooting basic electrical and 3 phase power systems, working with PLCs and motor controls
- Skills include ability to work with PCs and various applications, emails, etc. Effectively communicate with production operators, engineers and management
: Detroit, MI Relocation
: Is not authorized
Qualified applicants will be required to take and pass 3M employment testing as a part of the selection process.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status.)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.