we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Medical Director (Grade F) / Senior Medical Director (Grade G) in Gaithersburg, MD
, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology
is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are currently seeking a Medical Director/Senior Medical Director, Women's Cancer to join our team. As Medical Director/Senior Medical Director, Women's Cancer in US Medical Affairs you will be a physician who has a history of clinical and be knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, with experience in all aspects of clinical trials. You will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in Oncology. As the Medical Director/Senior Medical Director, you should have significant experience in the medical specialty (with a focus on women's cancer) thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. You will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
As the Medical Director/Senior Medical Director you will be accountable for all activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches as well as ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use. Additionally you will be responsible for medical input into brand strategy as a core member of Core Medical Team (CMT), interacting with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups and with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Societies). You will play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers. As a medical expert, you will supply medical input into global Phase III programs and/or Life Cycle Management (LCM) programs.Essential Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D. or D.O. degrees or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams.
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time.
- Medical Directors will have at least 3 years of pharmaceutical industry or other related areas of experience.
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or other advanced degree.
- Board certification/eligibility preferred in Oncology, internal medicine or a related relevant specialty.
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes.
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts.
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs.
- Active medical license.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
At AstraZeneca, we believe the best way we can help patients is to focus on breakthrough science in order to uncover disease mechanisms and develop novel, targeted therapies that interact with them. This is at the heart of our purpose as a company: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.