we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Medical Director (grade level F) / Senior Director (grade level G) Hematology in Gaithersburg, MD
, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies. Main Duties and Responsibilities
As Medical Director/Sr Director
in US Medical Affairs, you will be a board-certified physician who has a history of clinical practice and significant experience in the therapeutic area. You will be knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies and have experience in all aspects of clinical trials. You will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in their therapeutic area (TA), in this case Oncology. Ideally, you will have significant experience in their medical specialty (with a focus on Hematology), thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. You will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
You will be accountable for all activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches as well as ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use. Additionally, you will be responsible for medical input into brand strategy as a core member of Core Medical Team (CMT), interacting with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups and with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Societies). You will play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers. As a medical expert, you will supply medical input into global Phase III programs and/or Life Cycle Management (LCM) programs. Essential Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D. or D.O. degrees or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of pharmaceutical industry or other related areas of experience
- Board certification/eligibility in internal medicine or a related relevant specialty, Oncology
- Leadership Capabilities at a senior leader level with strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership with proven track record of change and impact
- Proven ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of drug development and pharmaceutical market support and in-depth knowledge of the Oncology with a focus on hematology (clinical evidence and real world patient management)
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Active medical license
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or other advanced degree
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Passion for patient outcomes and knowledge of patient care and treatment
- Versatile communication skills
- Line management experience
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring experience
- Presentation and negotiation skills
- Team and Cross-functional working - demonstrating commitment, influencing, challenge and support
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written.
- Strong analytical skill set
- Demonstrated strategic agility - Ability to anticipate and shape future based on market, business and industry trends
- High ethical standards
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.